Chapter 6

"How was work?" I ask awkwardly while we sit across from each other on the floor, cushions keeping us comfortable.

"Fascinating" he smirks, chewing politely before setting his utensils down to talk. "Ran into a couple familiar faces that needed my help."

"Need is a strong word..." I mutter, shoveling some more food into my mouth to stall for time to think. "We would have been just fine" is all I can come up with.

"I forced my help on their perfectly solid plan to hobble down the street, leaving a blood trail behind them, then."

"Exactly" a hint of a smile twitches at the corner of my mouth. "Thanks. By the way"

"I do not know what you mean. It was a random civilian" he insists.

"Right. Of course" I smile more before standing up to get us some alcohol. It feels necessary so we can loosen up a little bit. Our conversation still feels a little stiff. I don't want to get drunk, but a glass or two should be fine.

I pour us a glass each of the wine I had under the sink. He takes it and raises his glass "to strange friendships and good company"

"Strange friendships" I repeat and clink my glass with his, downing the contents and refilling it. He shrugs and downs his too. I top his glass off.

"Do I ask what else you did today?" He narrows his eyes at me, loosening the next button on his shirt, red creeping onto his cheeks. Either he's embarrassed about something or the wine is already getting to him. Lightweight.

"Do you want me to lie to you?" I counter, finishing my dinner and leaning against my bed with my glass of wine in my hand.

"Please do"

"I did some... accounting"

"You could at least lie better" he smirks, adjusting his glasses.

"Art acquisition" I try again

"I think I know what you did. Do not confirm, but were you involved in the people that were passed out in front of a storage unit that contained priceless art pieces?"

"What a terrible set of villains to pass out during the middle of a crime and not being able to run away when they literally have stolen property in their grasp" I sip my wine

"This is probably a terrible idea" he mumbles to himself

"Then why come back for dinner?" I ask. It's been nagging at me why he would, knowing that I'm part of the reason he has a job.

"Honestly? I don't know" he looks around "you cleaned up which was thoughtful"

"I would have before the first time you came over, but, you know... there wasn't exactly time" I scratch the back of my head, embarrassed.

"It was not the worst apartment I have ever been in."

"And I suppose yours is pin neat." I tease

"It is in an adequate state, yes. It could use a good dusting" he leans back on one of his hands, keeping his wine glass in the other.

"Which means it would put this place to shame."

"Did you get the blood out of your sheets?" He asks, changing from the topic of his place.

I push the comforter to the side to show the spot Martac was laying. "Changed the sheets and threw the old ones away"

"I suppose it was quite a bit of blood. How is he?"

"Resting.... Actually, he's not" I think about him "but he's fine. He's being taken care of."

"Do you have to work tomorrow?" He asks.