Chapter 20

"I want you to meet my parents" I state when he starts to move to the kitchen to get some food ready.

"That would be appropriate. You should meet mine as well." He states, pulling out food from the fridge that doesn't require heating.

"I meant now." I have my phone in my hand, dressed in a nice skirt and shirt, and have already texted my mom that I'm on my way over. "They're expecting me....well... us."

"Oh...alright then" he puts all the food away and goes to put on a pair of khakis and a button down shirt, combing his hair so it's under control and doesn't look like I messed it up with my fingers. Which I had a few minutes ago.

"So. About my parents..." I start while in the car, he's already stopped at a flower shop to get a bouquet for my mom. "Last time I saw them we kind of got into it about my brother."

"Have you talked to them since?"

"...no."

"And the first time you do, you're bringing me?"

"I need a....buffer, I guess" I shrug, looking out the window, trying to produce calm I do not feel. "You, being the perfect gentleman, would be more than enough."

He fully stops at a light and leans over to kiss my cheek before holding my hand, linking our fingers and stroking the back of my hand with his thumb.

"What should I expect and what is our escape plan if needed?" He asks after he starts moving again. Being a pro hero allowed him to learn the layout of the town well and after giving the address, he hasn't needed directions.

I squeeze his hand, so grateful for his thoughtfulness. "It's going to be one of two scenarios. Either, they will act as if nothing happened, or they won't stop making subtle digs at me."

"That does not seem healthy"

"Neither does refusing to talk about my brother, but I guess that's how we function." I shrug, trying to feign indifference, but still feeling the sting of grief.

"At what point do I usher you out of there?"

"As soon as possible. The goal is not to linger. Not even for dessert"

"But you love dessert"

"That should tell you how much I am dreading seeing them again." We sit in comfortable silence for a moment. He gives me time to collect my thoughts "I know I need to take that first step to see them. I just left so hurt last time."

"We will stop at that bakery you love on the way back and get the largest sweet morsel they have"

I pick up our intwined hands and kiss the back of his along an old scar. "I love you"

"And I love you" he says, pulling into the driveway at my parents' house and giving my hand an extra squeeze. "Now, please allow me to be an actual gentleman and get your door for you."

I eye him slyly and he narrows his eyes at me "I guess I can 'allow' that today" I tease and he kisses me quickly before getting out and grabbing the flowers on the seat behind him.

I made a 'game' out of forcing him to bee less of a gentleman. The recent addition is getting out of the car so fast that he doesn't have time to get the door for me. He hates it and has even gone as far as using his quirk to launch himself over the car or to get to the door faster than me to get it open. I always see a little smile when he wins so I let him beat me more and more.

Around on my side, he opens the door and holds out a hand for me to help me out of the car. I take it, giving it an extra squeeze as we get to the door and he rubs his thumb along mine even as the lock is thrown and the door opens.