Chapter 7

I try to lay down and go back to sleep, but all I end of doing is tossing and turning.

It doesn't feel right, but it has to be. I think, sitting up with a groan, finally giving up on being blessed with more sleep.

In my little kitchen, I'm out of anything that sounds good for breakfast and know the perfect place that is always stocked and always open. Well. Technically everything is always open for me, but this place is also welcoming. Most of the time.

I don't bother to get dressed in normal clothes but stuff my feet into proper shoes before leaving my apartment and make my way to Martac's place.

He's not at home but I make myself comfortable on his couch with some snacks I pulled from his cupboard. The morning sun peaks over the neighboring building before the lock on the front door starts jingling.

Male giggling follows the sound of the door opening and I turn my head to see Martac pin Chris against the wall and kiss him deeply. I've met Chris a couple times and I like him. He's, for lack of a better description, a clumsy himbo. He's also Martac's opposite in most ways. They're both buff and strong but that's where the similarities end. Chris is a ray of sunshine where Martac is a stormy day. Martac is a master in the kitchen where Chris will find a way to mess up cereal. They form a great harmony to each other, but can't seem to stay together for longer than a few months at a time. Martac has never told me why.

"Before you scar me for life, just know you're not alone" I pipe up and Martac just turns his head to me, scowling.

"Why are ya in my place right now" he practically growls.

"Got bored at mine." I shrug, standing and brushing past them to get to the galley kitchen to grab a bottle of water. Chris squirms, but Martac doesn't move.

"Yer boredom isn't my problem. Go play with yer new hero toy."

"That's over" I swallow hard, trying to keep my emotions to myself. I still don't know how I feel about it entirely, but I'd rather feel nothing at all. That's safer for me.

Martac's expression softens and he pushes off the wall, letting Chris free who comes to my side and kisses my cheek before grabbing himself a water bottle. "Good to see you, y/n" he says, but I don't quite believe him.

"What did ya do?" Martac asks, crossing his arms.

"Why does it have to be my fault?"

"Because it usually is" Chris offers, a small trickle of water leaking out of his mouth that he wipes with the hem of his shirt, reveling his very defined abs. Martac blatantly stares at them, unashamed that he's doing so.

"Not helpful" I point at Chris, but the snap in my voice isn't there and I sigh. "I just know it's not going to work."

"Did ya even try?" Martac asks, following Chris to the living room where we all sit. Martac passes me a blanket, seeing that I'm a little cold in his well air conditioned place and I snuggle in on the recliner so the massive men can sit close to each other on the couch.

Martac eyes my arm for a moment before getting up and bringing me some clean gauze and redressing my slashed arm. I guess his leg isn't bothering him too much anymore. Then again, Chris has a healing quirk so I bet he got patched up better than I stitched him up earlier.

"We talked about it."

"Talked about what exactly?" Chris asks. Martac probably already told Chris everything. He always does. I know what ever I say to Martac will end up in Chris' ear at some point, no matter how delicate the secret. Chris even knows what we do for a living, but I think Martac leaves specifics like names and locations out of it so Chris has plausible deniability.