Chapter 12

I actually obey my alarm in the morning and am up and dressed, waiting on the street when Martac rounds the corner, two cups of coffee in his hands.

"You never bring me coffee" I say, taking the cup from him and holding it between my hands to steal the warmth from it.

"I always bring ya coffee, but I drink it by the time ya get up and ya decide to grace me with yer presence." He quips back, a smile on his face as he sips his own beverage.

"Oh" we start to walk in the direction of the job. I didn't look at what it was, but I trust Martac to have vetted it properly. "How was your vacation? Did you go anywhere?"

"We headed north to the mountains and just spent the whole time in a cabin" he sounds almost whistful as if he misses it already. "I'm surprised ya didn't call me, honestly."

"You needed a break from not just work, but me too." He doesn't respond, so I know Chris was right. "You can tell me when you need time off, you know."

"No... I can't" he says it softly and I don't have time to retort before we reach our destination, noticing Martac's car parked across the street.

We're working with a small group we've done a few jobs with. It's a simple home invasion that only needs me to get them in and grant access to the safe. The security system is already taken care of.

We beat the employers here and have to look casual as we take the alley between houses to hide in the back of the house.

"Are ya doing okay?" Martac asks, concerned.

"Yeah. Of course. Why wouldn't I be?"

"Ya seem..... sad today"

"I'm not sad." It's only a partial lie. I think I'm too emotionally exhausted to fully be sad.

"So what is goin on? Yer different today" I take a deep breath and tell him everything that happened while he was on vacation, leaving out the part that I didn't call him because of what Chris said. "Fuck."

"Yeah you can say that again."

"Are we talkin' about this or ignorin' it?"

"Definitely ignoring it for now." I feel relieved that he's not going to press topic right now. He will later.

"Kagi! I'm surprised you're on time" the boss says as he rounds the corner to join us. He only has one person with him who lets out a short laugh.

"I like to keep people on their toes" I reply, brushing past them to touch the door.

The others go in first, make sure the building is clear and then locate the safe for me to unlock. It's just full of documents, a couple handguns and a few stacks of cash. They ignore the money and take the documents, scanning through for whatever information they need.

As they get the last of what they need, a door creaks on its hinges and echos through the house. It's the main door opening.

I start to panic, looking between the men I'm with. The employer and his goon reaches for the gun in the safe. I smack his hand out of the way. I'm here to open locks, not cover up a murder.

There's a large closet off this room and we all corral in it, hopeful that this is just a quick trip home for whoever walked in.

The small gap in the doorframe allows me to see into the room as a middle aged man comes into the office with a very familiar young woman being pulled in behind him by her hand. The second the door is closed, their lips clash together and they paw at each other's clothes.

"My wife won't be home for awhile, so we can take our time, Ella" the man breathes between kisses.

"My boyfriend is waiting for me for lunch. I don't have time to go all the way and besides, the desk really hurt my back last time." Ella replies, breathless as she turns them around and presses the man's back up against the door and sinks to her knees. Ella undoes his belt and I'm thankful I can't see the actions that go along with the sloppy sucking noises that are accompanying them.