Chapter 11

Gaara and I walk up to the closed Ramen shop.

"Never mind what I said earlier. This place is closed. Oh well." I said sadly. I look up at the moon.

"Hey Gaara, you like the moon right?" I beamed and smiled up at Gaara.

"I don't like it. I just don't hate it."
"So you like it?" Gaara looks up to see my orbs.

"You're so stubborn." He says and somehow, he doesn't seem annoyed.

"Am I now? Is that good?" I chuckled and sighed.

"I think, I don't know." He replies softly. I wonder if I can at least squeeze a smile out of that guy. Hm, make Gaara smile. That's my challenge. Also my other challenge is to tell him about my feelings before he leaves the Leaf, which all seems impossible.

"So did I miss anything exciting back in the Sand?" I grinned darkly.

"No."

"Oh come on Gaara, talk to me! I haven't seen you in so long! Also, when I finally did see you, you walked right past me! Come on, I wanna know how my best friend is doing!" I exclaimed and he didn't even glanced at me one bit!

"You still consider me a friend? I was going to kill you." He stated and I frowned mentally. I sigh. I wonder if he actually would kill me... Nah, Gaara is a good guy.

"Yup! You're still my friend! The same boy I used to play with when we were kids. Though I don't know what happened to your teddy bear..." I say with a sympathetic smile.

"I threw it away."

"Awww it was so cute though." I chimed.

"Should I care?" he says emotionlessly.

"You could have at least given it to someone." I frowned despondently at his words.

"Nobody would want MY teddy bear." He rolled his blue orbs and glared down at me. I swallowed thickly and continued.

"That's not true! I would love a teddy bear! My pare-... Adopted parents didn't like teddy bears, or any kind of stuffed animal for that matter. So I never really had any." I muttered.

"I see." He says mysteriously. I give him a puzzled look, demanding to know what he meant. He just shook his head.

"It's pretty late. You should get some rest." Gaara suddenly says. I realize that it must be past twelve. And I might be needed at the hospital tomorrow.

"Yeah, that's a good idea." I give him a smile.

"... There might be more of those assassin jerks after you. I'll walk you home... I have the whole night to spare..." Oh, that's right. Gaara barely sleeps...

"Thanks." I say, and we begin the walk back to my house.

"So Gaara, how come you knew I was going to meet up with that guy anyway?" I ask, desperately wanting to know.

Up until now, I haven't questioned
my luck.

"I saw you walking down the street. Also you don't go wandering around at night without a good reason. Besides, if I were to kill you, I would do it at night."

"I see. Well, thanks. You totally saved my butt. That guy was insane!" I giggled lightly.

"Hmph." He looks down as we walk. I keep staring at the moon. It's quite small compared with the moon in the Sand. It's weird, because it is the same moon... I look back down and see my house a few meters in front of us. I walk up to it, Gaara following behind me. I try the door. It opens. Oops. I should really lock it once in a while.

"Thanks for walking me home, Gaara. I really appreciate it." I say with a genuine smile. For a moment, Gaara looks like he was going say something. Then he just turns around, ready to leave.
"Hey Gaara, you really need to try some of that ramen. I'm working at the hospital tomorrow, but after that, we should meet outside the Hokage building and go to Ichiraku." I shouted loud enough to for him to here.

"Fine." He mumbled. I lift my hands to my cheeks. They're warm. I close the door and lock it. I walk over to my bed and plump down on it. I really can't be bothered changing into pajamas. I feel my eyelids closing. I must be really tired. Oh well. I got to see Gaara...

"Kasumi! Get up!" I lazily tear open my eyes and wait for the blurriness to go away. I can vaguely make out the person who is standing at my bed. It's a boy with hair put up. He's wearing a fishnet and a dull-colored jacket.

"Shikamaru???" I asked groggily, still tired from last night.

"Hurry up Kasumi! The Hokage wants to see you right now!" He says throwing the sheets off of my bed.

The cold air started to hit my bare skin. Ugh! Shikamaru, I shouldn't have gave you a key to my apartment...

I groan and got out of bed tiredly.

"Right, thanks. So why does he want to see me?" I got up still obviously in my night wear which was more embarrassing.

"I don't know, but it has something to do with a corpse found on the training ground this morning." As he says that, I'm suddenly fully awake.

"Oh flip... Kiba you traitor..." I muttered gritting my teeth. That bastard!

"Kiba?! What does he have to do with this?!" Asks Shikamaru. He hates not being able to understand something.

"Oh, nothing at all. I just remembered something about him. That's all." I lied hoping he would leave it at that. I naturally can't lie, but this was the worst lie ever. Shikamaru rolls his eyes, letting me know that he didn't fall for my cheap excuse one bit. But he drops the topic anyway and leaves my house. I quickly do my hair and change into new clothes. Something tells me I'm in a lot of trouble...