XVI

APOLLO COHEN POV

Tate has been adjusting well. He misses home and most likely his parents. The only thing I can say about the parents is that they're evil. Why leave your child to die, while the planet is dying.

He has been in his room and I think he likes it. He has a lot of toys and coloring books. He's not in school but eventually, when he's comfortable, he'll go.

Taking care of someone else other than myself is challenging but I feel I can get through it. I've been doing this for about a month now.

I have been trying to pin a location on other spaceships but no one is responding. Hopefully, someone is out there like us.

•••

Dinner is ready. I made some green beans, mashed potatoes, and chicken breast.

Heading down the hallway into Tate's room. Opening the door I see Tate is on his bed asleep while the tv is on PJ mask. I realized that is his favorite show

Tapping his shoulder to wake him up. " Hey, buddy dinners ready," I said. he started to move around signaling he was waking up.

" Daddy" He exclaimed with a bright smile and sleep in his eyes. Opening his arms for me to hug him.

" Hey, bud. Dinners ready, are you hungry ?" I asked with the same energy. He nodded his head excitedly.

" Well let's go, Itsssss dinner time" I stated in a funny tone, which made him laugh.

being a dad can be hard but it's fun.

Sitting him down on the island chair and places his food in front of him and gives him some juice.

Tate looked at his food happy as ever. One thing about Tate is that he lives to eat his food no matter what it is. He doesn't really like snacks but only fruit snacks.

Sitting down in the chair. I turned on the tv in the living room and put on PJ mask.

Tate jumped up and down excitedly while eating his food. I smiled, glad I can make him happy.

I never really pictured myself having kids but adopting Tate and treating him as my own will most likely be the best thing I have ever done.

"Tate, Are you ready for school or want to go," I asked. He looked up with food all in his mouth.

" Before, you answer my question chew with your mouth closed then answer," I informed him.

" I don't really want to go, I want to stay here with you." He stated with a frown.

" How are you going to make friends and learn about the world by staying here with me," I told him.

He looked at me with tears. " You don't want me anymore? Are you leaving me like momma did ?" He stated with tears flowing down his small cheeks.

" Come here bud, that's not going to happen. You're my son and I'll never do that to you."I reassured him. Hopping that brings him comfort.

He's a five-year-old with abandonment issues and that's not right. I'll do everything in my power to make him feel included in everything.

" Okay, you promise." He held his pinky out and I did the same.

" I promise buddy," I said.

••••

I have been up all night trying to contact other spaceships. I'm out in my storage unit, and Tate is in the car.