•{a VERY rough draft of what the mask looks like now}•

*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•

"ahhh, the putrid smell of socializing." Namjoon thought aloud, breathing in the not so fresh air.

He and his loyalists had arrived merely a minute ago, and everyone of the townspeople were already gathered to greet his highness.

"Emperor! Emperor! Over here! Please choose me and my peers for the royal questionnaire!"

It's sort of a... tradition, I guess one could say, for Namjoon to choose 7 random people amongst the crowd of his "devoted fans". Each participant chosen can either ask him or 1 of his loyalists a question, or request they perform a specific task. There does come rules to this questionnaire, though. For example, no one can request something like Namjoon to remove his mask, or something intimate like a kiss from one of the 5 men.

Seeing as the crowd was quite eager, Namjoon decided now would be a good time to choose the 7 lucky townspeople. There was no system in particular that Namjoon used, he just picked a group of 7 random people randomly. He feigned having a hard time choosing as he chose 5 people, now just 2 more.

Namjoon looked around. Maybe I should actually look this time. So he did, and what he didn't expect was to land on 2 slightly familiar people. A man and a boy. Thinking his eyes were playing tricks, he did a double take, and there they were. The people from his garden yesterday.

This can't be right...could it?

"You two."

The beautiful man wasn't expecting to be called upon considering he was in a crowd full of rowdy "opponents", yet here he is.

Still not 100% sure he was who the emperor pointed to, he cautiously walked forward where the other 5 people were standing, with the boy's hand in his.

"Okay, so before we begin, remember the rules. No asking the emperor to remove his mask, and no intimate or lewd requests or questions." Hoseok reminded.

Everyone nodded to agree.

"Who's up first?"

Stray "me"s went flying from seemingly everywhere. Eventually Namjoon and his loyalists agreed to just let them go in the order that they were chosen. First up was some women that was practically yelling her lungs out.

"OH MY! OH MY! OKAY SO MY NAME IS..." Namjoon just zoned out the woman, he couldn't careless about any of the other 6 people. His eyes only focused on one. It felt like forever 'til it was finally the beautiful man's turn.

"Oh! Uhm okay, my name is Seokjin and uh I'll ask the emperor something, I guess." Seokjin complied shyly with his head slightly down. Cute.

"Go on."

"u-u- h-how old are you?" Seokjin panicked feeling a little pressured. So adorable.

"What was your name again, Seokjin was it?"

"Yes sir."

"Oh, well Seokjin, I'm 25."

Seokjin. I'll never forget that.

*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•

Today was actually quite good.

Namjoon didn't face any hardships and he got to see him again.

Not only did he see him, he got to talk to him...well sorta. If only he didn't ask something that had such a short answer. Namjoon started to sulk at the memory. Wait, his name, what was his name? So-Seo-Seok-Seok? Seok what? Augh! No way did I forget it that fast!

Getting out of his thoughts, he noticed he was practically to his room already.

Walking inside his room, the first thing Namjoon saw was the mirror he failed to turn back around before leaving earlier. He hadn't taken his mask off just yet so he thankfully wasn't jump scared or anything. Staring back at the masked figure in his reflection, Namjoon slowly peeled away the thin piece of glass.

God, is this really what I look like to people? He wondered. He wonders what would happen if someone saw him one day, would they still allow him to be their emperor? To rule over them? With such a face? Namjoon strongly doubts that.

Suddenly the thought of the beautiful man crossed Namjoon's mind. What would happen if he saw me? Would he look at me the way he looks at that kid? Or would he be so horrified that something like me could even be considered human? Probably the latter.

Namjoon often wonders why he still has the slightest of hope that someone different will come into his life. How stupid could he be to possibly believe anyone would dare look at him with such love and passion, let alone at all.
Wishful thinking isn't enough to convince him he's worthy of even thinking those kind of thoughts.

Namjoon felt the all too familiar wetness on his cheeks.

Quickly flipping the mirror back to its rightful place facing the wall, Namjoon went to his bed and cried. Cried til his head hurt and he was enveloped in the warm blackness equivalent to sleep.

Who was he kidding? How could anyone else do such an impossible task when he himself can't even look at the man in the mirror?

Date: May 27, 2023
Wrd. Cnt.: 1,346

I know I haven't updated in like a year & the few readers I had are gone by now 💀, but don't wrry imma finish this 😗 next update will probably be the last 5 chapters to this story so at least I'll have this finished 🥲•
     👽
✌🏾 & <3