Chapter 1: Lessons

Start from the beginning

One such thing he's shared has been, "The truth doesn't matter to the people. It's only what they believe that makes truth real. You'll do well to remember that. Truth is what you, as the King--- the supreme authority, make of it." Another time he mentioned, "Anyone can betray you at any time. It could be your children. I mean, take the King of Portugal, for example. My sister killed him, and then the Royal family plotted to kill you because of it. The dead King's brother had no clue about the plot until we started trading messages back and forth. As I've told you before, trust no one."

Then he followed it up with, "Even though I say trust no one, that's an ironic lie. As a King, I feel very lonely sometimes. Yet, I push people away from me. People who would gladly spend time with me love me, even like my own daughters. Why do I do this, I wonder?" Most of all, Charles is learning being the King isn't easy.

After the few days of instruction he's had, he supposes there's truth found in the fact not everyone can be a king. You can't put a crown on the court jester's head and expect him to rule. Truly when his time comes, if it ever does, the last thing he wants is to act a fool. So he sits and listens and reads all the mind-numbing literature His Majesty provides him.

Having been in closeness with Henry all day, his time spent with his wife calms the anxiousness of his spirit. He shares most of everything about his day with her. Such as the one afternoon in mid-November: "Being a King is depressing. Half the time I spend thinking your father is melancholy of spirit. He has no close person to share life with, unlike us. He has us, but we live in Wales for most of the year. Now I understand why he often requests my presence in the court. He's lonely and in a kingly prison."

She thinks about those words. It must be why the man loves giving elaborate feasts and parties and why he enjoys tournaments. But even so, loneliness does not excuse recklessness. In her opinion, the only time to be reckless is with your love. Love with a reckless abandon, but don't conduct your life like that (or matters of state).

According to Charles, her father has been like this for most of his life. With an air of despondency and careless behavior. It makes her believe that he acts the way he does and surrounds himself with all the fawning people to stave off the doldrums of his kingly prison. These doldrums, this melancholy spirit, she knows all too well. When you're genuinely alone, all you have is yourself and your mind. 

If actions speak louder than words, silence says more than a thousand words a minute. Sometimes silence is pain. Silence may be empty and lonely, but it's also full of answers. You realize you're the creator of your own misery in the reflective silence. And her father truly is the author of some of his personal sorrow. She prays for him and wishes he could just be happy.

"Charles, I agree with some of your thinking, but I disagree too." Feeling emboldened lately, she has decided to keep speaking up. She's unsure if this is a good thing, but hopefully, it is.

Looking at her, he addressed her words. "Alright, Princess, tell me what you disagree with."

Mary must say these thoughts out loud. "Well, my mother was a Queen and a Royal her whole life. And while my father may be living in a kingly prison, my mother wasn't. She loved being Queen. She enjoyed serving the people. Plus, lest we forget, she led the troops from the throne at the Battle of Flodden while you and my father were waging war with King Francis. She had true friends and was loved by all who knew her."

Judging by the expression on her husband's face, she knows he cannot disagree. "Another thing is while my father was very well-liked and respected in his younger years, his unscrupulous behavior in his later ones is not winning friends and gaining trust. So part of his problem is having a kingly prison of his own design. Also, as his closest friend like a brother, do you not think the whole heir issue has messed up his mind?"