19|Stranger danger

Start from the beginning

The first place I'm heading is the boutique. As the person I am, I'm not even supposed to be so excited about getting new clothes. But I feel myself slowly evolving out of baggy clothes, sneakers, and beanies. I mean I'll soon be off to college and I'll need a new wardrobe. So why not use this as the perfect opportunity?

This is such a big mall that I can barely navigate my way to the boutique. Isn't there a map here or something? I start wandering around like a lost toddler, unsure of if I'll be able to meet up with Levi's 45-minute limit or if I'll even be able to find my way back to him. I'm pretty sure I look so pathetic, playing with my fingers as I look around for any sign of clothes.

Suddenly someone places a hand on my shoulder making me release an unnecessarily loud squeal, startling people passing by. I turn around, confused to see an unusually busty lady smiling sympathetically at me, she has blonde curls, and- it's just really hard to focus on anything other than her curvy body. "Hey, there... sorry, you just looked a bit lost... are you looking for your mummy?"

Holy cow this is the biggest insult I've ever received in my entire life. I mean I know I'm 5'2 but is that enough for someone to see me as a kid that's looking for her mummy? "Uhhh I'm 17," I clarify.

"My days, I'm so sorry," she laughs. "You just look so adorable," she chimes and pinches my cheek. Stranger danger!

"A-Actually I was looking for the bou-"

"Boutique? I was just heading there too, let's go together," she declares and thrusts her arm underneath mine, dragging me along with her. Well, at least I'm not lost anymore. They could kidnap me in this mall and Levi would have no idea. That's a pretty big letdown after the promise he made to me that night at my doorstep. He honestly made me feel like he would be pushing me around in a baby stroller all day.

"So you came here all on your own?" she asks. Geez why does she make it look like I'm a kindergartner who just happened to stumble upon this large building? But still, should I tell her I came with someone and make her think it was my babysitter who I somehow got separated from? Nope. "Um yeah, I did."

"Okay that's good because we can take as much time as we want," she beams. "Well... yeah." Ugh, I just hope Levi won't be mad if I spend an hour more.

After a few minutes, I spot the boutique I was searching for and we step through its glass doors, greeted by the scent of delicate perfumes and the soft hum of trendy music playing in the background.

It's a visual feast, with racks of colorful dresses, blouses, and skirts adorning the walls, and neatly folded stacks of jeans and sweaters showcased on tables. A chandelier sparkles overhead, casting a warm glow over the space. "So where do we begin," she grins and clasps her hands together.

"That's okay... I can do my shopping on my own," I insist. "No, no, no you look like you have no fashion sense dear and I would love to help you pick out the perfect outfits," she chimes. Is she doing this on purpose or does she not know how to use words, politely?

Before I can reject her offer she begins browsing through racks, selecting random clothes. "Um excuse me..." I say as I try to keep up with her. "Oh this is pretty," she lifts a pink lace lingerie set and turns to me.

"I... I can't wear that," I mutter, slightly embarrassed that I'm discussing this with a stranger in public. "Aren't you 17? You'll be in college soon- gosh I wish I went to college," she sighs. "Anyway, this is the type of underwear you should be looking at now. I mean come on, you're about to have sex with your crush but he takes off your clothes to see..." she dramatically gasps. "Granny panties? Ugh, that would be such a turn-off."