In The Dark

Summer

I sat on the front seat as I listened to my father preach. My mind started to wonder back to August. It was something about him that made me want to be there for him. I felt like he needed somebody in his corner. He had been through a very rough ordeal and he had become cold, but I still could tell that he had a good heart.

I looked out the corner of my eye and I could see Callie staring a hole in the side of my face. I wasn't sure what was up with her, but if it had anything to do with August, she could chill because it wasn't nothing going on there. I listened as my father spoke about the body being the Lord's temple. For whatever reason I felt guilty as if I had shared my body or done harm to my body over the weekend. I knew that it was silly, but I just had these weird thoughts at times.

I was surprised that nothing had popped off about me being out on the scene this weekend, but I knew that it wouldn't be long before something happened or that something would be said. I was so zoned out that I didn't realize it was altar call. I stood and smoothed my hands down my black pencil skirt.

The choir started singing Just as I am and something about that song made yet again think about August. He needed to know that no matter his past or his background he could come to God just as he was. I mentally sighed because I don't know why in the world he is weighing heavily on my mind. Maybe God is trying to tell me something.

I looked up as I saw people going to the altar. I needed to go because I was conflicted about these thoughts I were having about August. I just couldn't understand them and I needed clarification. I stepped out and folded my hands in front of me as I sung along with everyone else.

"Many of you have come prayer or you a seeking spiritual guidance. Whatever you have come to the altar for know that God is already taking care of it." I heard my daddy say.

Seconds later he started praying and I prayed along silently. He spoke with such authority and I could feel the words he was saying. This made me think about my mother and why she left. I still didn't understand why she left. She left when I was fourteen and after that things went downhill. I still pray for her in spite of, but my daddy it's a different story.

The prayer finally ended and everyone went back to there seats. I sat down and listened as my dad said a few more words. He asked us to stand as he gave the benediction. Once the benediction was given I went around and mingled. I greeted and talked to people, but it wasn't long until one of the deacons came to get me.

"Miss Summer your father want's  to see you in his study." Deacon Miller said.

I nodded slowly and walked in the direction of his study. I knocked on the door and he yell for me to come in. I walked in and he was leaning back in his chair. He stared at me as if he could right through me.

"Daddy what did you want to talk to me about?"

He was silent and just continued to look at me intently. I sighed and took a seat on his plush leather sofa.

"I was informed that you were at Club Champagne the other night and last you were at some kickback. Summer you know that by you going to places like that isn't proper for a Preacher's daughter."

"Daddy it was all innocent. I didn't do anything that would bring a disgrace to your ministry. You should know that."

"Summer I know that, but I also know how temptation can be if  you allow it to. Tell me, who is this guy August that you were with last night..."

August

I was downstairs in my office. I was looking over numbers from all the money that had been made within the last few weeks. I was great fa' a young nigga. My mind went back to Summer. I had to chuckle because she was something else. She speaks from her heart and the shit that she says is do real.

I was shocked at how she had read me like an open book. That had me feeling some type of way, but I wasn't gon' sweat it. I wondered what her life was really like and what her story really was. Hell it didn't matter because it wasn't like we was gon' be chopping it up or some shit. I'ma stay in my lane and I hope she stays in hers.

She didn't know that I knew her daddy and he tried to get me to come to his church. Summer also didn't know about who her father really was, but that wasn't my place to be up in they business. I had my own shit to worry about, but damn she seemed to be such a sweet girl that really believed in her father.

What you do in the dark shall come to the light......

Excuse Mistakes!