"Alright," she said, her whole attitude softening in an instant.

"Okay."

Sonic's attitude shifted just as Weiss' did, and Ruby and Klein smiled at one another, before backing up to give the two of them space.

"Um, you have to go, right?" Weiss said.

Sonic nodded. "Yeah, I have to go."

"Alright, we need to go, too."

"Allllright, goodbye."

Sonic turned around, looking out at Atlas from here. This was it. This was where he was going to leave. He didn't want the last thing he'd see on Remnant to be a kingdom with no green trees, but it wasn't like he had much of a choice anymore.

Hang on, what was he doing?! This was the last time he was going to talk to Weiss! She had brought him through everything! She had lost all chances at checking off the most important box from her bucket list, and she was happy and willing to do so. He couldn't leave her like this!

Sonic turned around. "Just one more thing."

Weiss made eye contact with the blue hedgehog in front of her. Those sweet, innocent emerald eyes looked up to her, almost like a little brother looking up to his sister. She stepped up to her companion, kneeling down in front of him.

"I'm so sorry," Sonic apologized.

"For what?" Weiss asked.

"For everything!" Sonic said. "I was supposed to go home to keep all of you safe, but all I did was put you in danger."

"Sonic--"

"I came into your life, and I ruined it! I ruined your chances at saving your family's legacy, and I turned you into a criminal!"

"Sonic!" Weiss shouted.

"I'm so sorry!" Sonic said. "I shouldn't have--"

He was cut off at a strange feeling he hadn't felt in years. A warmth that wrapped around his body, taking all of his guilt away, and filling him with a comfort he hadn't felt in so long.

Weiss was hugging him. Weiss Schnee was hugging him!

"You have nothing to apologize for," Weiss said, holding him tight. "You did so much for me. You showed me what it's like to have fun. You made me realize I don't have to listen to my father. You made me realize how I want to live my life. The person I want to be. If I could take it all back, I wouldn't. If I could go back and do this all over again, I would."

Sonic listened to her words, shocked that the Ice Queen was truly confessing all of this to him. He felt a blush form on his muzzle.

"You showed me what it was like to be happy," Weiss continued. "And I wouldn't change anything for the world. What I want to say is . . . thank you, Sonic. Thank you for everything. Thank you so much!"

Sonic smiled, and returned the embrace. The last person he'd hugged was Longclaw, and that was when he was a kid. He had completely forgotten what it truly felt like. He wished this could last forever.

But it was only a matter of time before they separated. The moment her warm arms had left him, Sonic felt a cold from the wind, which, luckily his fur protected him from. He already missed her.

"Goodbye, Edelweiss," Sonic said, looking to his red shoes.

Weiss noticed the sudden sadness. "You don't want to leave, do you?"

Sonic shook his head. "I don't wanna go, but I can't stay. As long as I'm here, I put everyone in danger. I can't do that."

Sonic looked up, gazing into Weiss' pale blue eyes. They filled him with comfort, telling him that everything would be okay, even if she didn't tell him that herself. He smiled, and added one more thing.

"I just want you to know that these past two days have been the best two days of my life."

Weiss smiled back, staring into Sonic's emerald eyes. She was going to miss him. He had made her happier than anyone else, and she wanted, more than anything, to take that bag from him, to keep him safe herself. But that couldn't happen.

So, she stood up, stepping back beside Ruby. She wanted to tell him what she was feeling, how much she already missed him, but a barrier she had set up for so many years held it back. Weiss fought it as hard as she could, struggling to get the words out.

"I . . . I'm-- g-going . . ."

Finally, she found the strength to push aside the barriers she'd set up within herself, and to talk to her little blue companion.

"I'm going to miss you," she said, "you little blue blur."

Sonic nodded. "I'm gonna miss you too, Edelweiss. Thank you."

"For what?" Weiss asked.

Sonic smiled. "For saving my life."

Weiss felt all of her painful emotions fade away. She'd saved him. She was never going to see him, but she could watch him leave knowing he was safe, and that she had saved him.

Sonic lifted the gold ring still in his hand. This was it. He reached back, mentally saying goodbye to the Edelweiss behind him.

Sonic threw the ring . . .