Chapter XXIV

It was strange.

Weiss would have thought that the most terrifying moment of her life would be battling a Grimm head-on, maybe taking on a criminal like Roman Torchwick, or, in this case, running for her life from a mad scientist and his drones.

And yet, when the airship landed, and Ruby and Weiss were making their way through the kingdom of Atlas to find Schnee Manor, she found herself more terrified than ever, with every step closer to the house.

But, in the meantime, Ruby was enjoying the scenery, and Sonic was enjoying what he could see from inside the duffel bag.

"So, Weiss?" Sonic's muffled voice came to her. "You . . . You know you're heading to your home, right?"

Weiss stiffened at Sonic's mention of their home. A topic she really didn't want to discuss, especially in front of Ruby. But she'd give him an answer.

"I know," she said.

"Are you sure you're okay with that?" Sonic said. "If you want, you can tell me where to go and I can run there myself."

Weiss thought for a moment, and she remembered what had happened the last time she'd tried to do that, when he'd accidentally ran straight into the ocean. She'd rather something like that didn't happen again. Besides, she knew she was coming to the end of their journey together, and she might never see him again. She at least wanted to say goodbye before he left.

"No," she said. "There's no need for that. I can take you there myself."

"Are you sure?" Sonic asked.

"Positive."

Ruby listened to the conversation without much thought. She didn't know what the two were talking about, but from the look on Weiss' face, it wasn't something she wanted to talk about. She'd ask her when all of this was over.

Finally, Weiss led them up to a gate, and stopped. It was the entrance to her home.

"Here we are," she said. "Home . . ."

Ruby walked up to the gate, and tried to pull it open, only for Weiss to pull her back by her hood.

"What are you doing?!" she said. "You can't just walk in! I'm a fugitive now!"

"Then how are we supposed to get in?" Ruby asked.

Weiss led Ruby away from the gate, and to the wall blocking off the house from the rest of Atlas. She tossed the duffel bag over, and from the other side, they heard the sound of something hitting grass hard, and Sonic yelling, "OW!!!"

Getting over the wall themselves was easy enough for the two. Ruby pulled out Crescent Rose, and pointed the barrel to the ground behind her. She fired, and the recoil sent her flying over the wall. Weiss formed a glyph beneath her feet, and it boosted her into the air. With a series of flips, Weiss landed gracefully on the other side.

She knelt down to the bag, and unzipped it to give Sonic a moment to recover.

"Are you alright?" she said.

"YOU THREW ME!!!"

"I'm sorry!" Weiss apologized.

Sonic stood up from the bag, and started to stretch. "What were you keeping in that bag?! A jar of pickled farts?!"

Several cracks were heard as Sonic stretched his muscles.

"Hey, do you have any better ideas than the bag?" Weiss said, standing up.

"The suitcase was better."

Weiss shifted her gaze away from Sonic. "We're not done yet. This is the hard part."