Chapter IX

Sonic's fears had come true.

Ever since last night, he had kept himself hidden. He hadn't even gone to watch Team RWBY to relieve his stress. He stayed in the Emerald Forest, making sure nobody was searching for him.

But now, he was peering over a rock, watching as Atlesian soldiers searched the forest with egg-shaped drones for him.

"Okay, okay," he whispered. "Everything is fine. You played some baseball, got a little upset, lightning shot out of your butt, and now their coming for you!"

He sped away, making sure no one would see his blue blur, and entered his cave.

"Okay, Remnant isn't safe anymore!" he said in a panic as he ran around. "Time for Plan B! Mushroomville! I gotta take my stuff!"

He grabbed a backpack, and set it down next to his beanbag chair in the middle of the room, before zooming around the cave to grab his items.

"Okay, essential items only!" he said. "Toothbrush, toothpaste, hair gel, night-light, funny hat, this half-eaten cantaloupe, my scented candle, my entire comic book collection, beanbag chair, Can a beanbag chair fit in a backpack? No, no, no. Of course not. That's stupid. Okay, what else? The rings! The rings, yes, of course!"

With all of his favorite items collected, Sonic dashed into the middle of the room, pulling a ring out from his bag, and preparing to throw it. But, before he could do so, a shadow passed overhead. He looked up, realizing the soldiers were nearby.

"Oh no! They're right outside!"

Memories of Longclaw needing to hold back the echidnas before the portal closed came back, and Sonic knew he had to leave.

"I've gotta go somewhere else!" Sonic said, running away.

He stopped, turning around to take one more look at his cave. This was his home for years. He had done so much to make this place a comfortable place to live. And he loved it. It was a really nice place, the only place ever since leaving his world that felt like a home. But now he had to leave it, and most of his belongings, behind.

All of that hard work had been for nothing.

Sonic sighed.

"Goodbye, cave . . ."