| Epilogue |

After drafting the letter several times and leaving crumbles of paper spread across the floor, Kealie's hands cramped as she signed her name across the bottom

She'd written everything, pouring her mind and heart out all over the paper in the hopes that someone would listen.

Inside she gave her detailed description of the last two days' events, marking King Tradyl a traitor and anyone in his court who may have followed after him.

Kealie took a steadying breath and rolled the paper up, lacing it together at the ends with gold lace.

Lifting herself from her desk, she stepped over to the seared landing of her former balcony and whistled into the air.

A small draconian came slinking down the drain and launched itself into the air before her.

"Take this to Nynoli," Kealie murmured, smiling. "Deliver this to Hale and Roselyn Gothalis, be persistent if you must."

The wyvern chirped, the sound rolling through the air like a purr. He nipped the scroll from her hands and flew away with it, heading straight for her distant relatives in the north.

"I thought I might find you up here," Nixian said, opening the door only for the hinges to snap. He let go just in time for the wood to fall into ashes.

Kealie turned, her smile growing when she saw her brother in newfound clothes. The black pants were form-fitting, yet loose toward the cuff with a great many pockets. He wore two shirts, one white and one blue, mostly masked by a thick jacket.

Nixian looked normal.

She walked over to him, admiring the mismatched fashion, and chuckled to herself. "What's all this about?"

He shook his head. "Nevermind that," he laughed, dismissing her taunt with a wave. "Come, there is someone I'd like you to meet."

Kealie didn't know why stars danced and twirled about in her stomach, tickling her skin and robbing her of air to breathe. She couldn't imagine who Nixian could ask her to meet, perhaps a villager who asked after her.

They left the burnt, crumbling Estate and walked through town. Several people waved, mostly Nerydian. Others scuttled away and hid in their homes.

The village was in chaos and disarray but on the mend.

Nixian wrapped his arm behind Kealie, resting a hand on her shoulder blades as he corralled her further.

As they rounded the corner, she saw a man standing on one of the docks. He spoke with one of the Nerydian males Kealie freed after the massacre.

She didn't recognize him, only made more curious by the soft golden hair ruffling in the wind and his long, sleek features. Kealie noted the way he carried himself until she was close enough to see the scales of blue and gold.

She stilled, gasping.

The King of Aelusia turned, his face just as strong as Nixian's. His emerald eyes just as playful.

The male speaking with him took a few steps back before removing himself completely, offering to help a child with some logs.

Her father's eyes warmed at the sight of her.

Kealie felt herself shaking with excitement and nerves.

King Iyvers met the distance between them, holding Kealie's drawn gaze.

"It would seem you've lost something," he said, at last, pulling a card out of his jacket. "This belongs to you."

As Kealie took the card with a shaking hand, she gasped at the words.

Happy Birthday.

Tears immediately poured down her cheeks as she looked up at him and smiled. She knew, she had always known.

"Welcome home, Daughter."

They embraced, Kealie burying herself in his chest. She didn't care that it was for the first time.

Her father knew her.

It was enough.