| Chapter Thirteen |

The village bells chimed through the square, marking the day Kealie hoped never to remember

Verun had come early in the dawn light to escort Nixian from their holding cell, leaving her alone.

She'd resorted to counting the cracks on the walls, the dust clumps lined up in the farthest corners, and even the wrinkles in her sheets. Kealie searched her surroundings desperately to avoid panicking and wondering if the next time she stepped foot outside this cell, Nixian would be alive.

Naida soon came to get her, swiftly shoving her into the hall and dragging her all the way to the bedroom Kealie once prayed never to see again.

They didn't speak as she was forced onto a stool before her dressing table. She'd ignored the vanity for years without reason or purpose to dress up. Luverie didn't host balls or gala's, nor did they wish to attract any attention to themselves.

Kealie knew deep down the rest of Taeorra would be disgusted with Luverie.

The fact even soothed her in a way.

Perhaps there were souls in this world who thought of others, maybe there were countries without slavery and violence.

She'd realized that was likely why her mother had never allowed them to travel. To explore the world. To set foot outside.

Because then Kealie would know that Luverie and her family were not normal.

A haggard woman in sophisticated, yet old dress robes stepped into the room, her light silver hair pulled back into a tight spun bun with braids woven in. She was tall and lean, carrying herself with a dignity and grace that would've brought Kealie joy if the Nerydian before her were not Ydreth Ketil.

The only Nerydian Kealie had ever known to sell herself to the pits and enjoy every moment of it.

Ydreth came to stand behind Kealie and tsked to herself, stroking Kealie's golden locks with wrinkled, calloused fingers.

"The Queen wants you looking presentable," she muttered, her voice as raspy as the smoke they breathed.

Kealie found herself wondering if that was what happened when living in the city too long, constantly swathed in the burnings.

She didn't have much to say, only wincing every now and again when Ydreth gave her hair sharp yanks and tugs.

"What's the point of this?" Kealie hissed after a very painful snag. "Icing me like a pastry in hopes I catch a nobleman's eyes while my brother burns on your stake?"

The old eel snorted, raising a brow. "As if her majesty would ever have you wed, you'll never inherit the throne."

Even if the blow struck as intended, Kealie still snarled. "Good."

"You've the charm of a leviathan under that skin, with none of the talons," Ydreth sneered at her, puffing her face with several different powders and lining her eyes with charcoal. "You're lucky they'll even allow you to watch."