| Chapter Fourteen |

The terrace of the Gothalis Estate overlooked the edge of the village

The terrace of the Gothalis Estate overlooked the edge of the village. Tall enough to see everything as if it were almost a front row seat, just close enough to the stage to watch and interact.

Kealie knew her knees would never steady themselves so long as she stood atop the balcony, watching her brother tied to a makeshift throne below.

Music played, although somber and foreign.

Never having heard the melodies before, she wondered if they were Nerydian songs. From the look lining Ydreth's face, they weren't.

On either side of her was a haughty viper in a woman's skin, waiting. Like asps in the desert lands, they marked every single silhouette entering the open square, looking for a target, searching for another victim.

So displeased with the current meal, they already lusted after another.

In that moment, Kealie realized the truth behind their evil was innate. An essence so permanent they might as well wear it with pride.

Clouds darkened overhead, churning along the coastline. The Nerydian's weren't weary, if anything relieved that this might be over quickly or that the smell might be masked in the downpour. However, the humans weren't so comfortable. Any mortal present peered up at the royals or eyed the detained Prince wearily.

The softest thunder rolled, echoing against the rolling waves in a gentle warning.

Kealie braced her hands on the railing, gripping the oak with a force strong enough to splinter the wood beneath her fingers. She flinched slightly, running her skin against the prickling edges with wonder.

She was strong.

Nixian's gaze lingered on no one and nothing, the faint semblance of himself only a trace in his empty stare. He looked forward, ignoring even Kealie.

A pit in her stomach bottomed out when the bell began tolling again, the music amping to life around them and an uproar of chaos ensued for only a moment.

Kealie's arms pinched with restraint, her whole body trembling as she saw Naida's lips pull into a wicked smile.

This was real.

Real.

So unbelievably real.

Her heart hammered loudly, slamming with such strong punctuating beats she heard it in her ears. For a moment, she wondered if Nixian could hear it as well. He lifted his forest green eyes to her.

A well, deep and endless, full of sorrow and shame swelled there. The traces of a goodbye only seconds away as if he wasn't even going to try anything.

As though even if he did, it would end in demise.

A male with a slender frame and lanky arms swayed his way up the stairs. The brown hair and dark eyes were an immediate giveaway for Kealie. King Wendal Tradyll slowly wandered over to the throne from which Nixian would be burned. He rested a hand against the silver backing, barely touching a deep sea velvet.