Chapter 8

Maxon pov
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The party continued in one of the smaller ballrooms. We ate cake and America and I danced for the longest time. Then, I even danced with May.

To be honest, I was dreading the moment I had to tell America that I said I would dance with Daphne.

A few songs later, I noticed Daphne looking at me like "Come on!" I finally walked up to America. I stood there for a second. Then I said "Umm America, my dear, umm you know how we were talking to Daphne and everything?" "Yeah," she said slowly. "Well she has been my friend since we were born. So I want to tell you the story." Her eyes grew wide. "Umm okay."

"Before the Selection, we were having a party or something and she was there. She is a princess, too. She said... She said that she didn't want a Selection and she wanted for her and I to get married. I told her the truth and said that I had no feelings for her other than our friendship. She... She got really mad at me. I hadn't seen her since then. Then when we were talking in the fountain garden, she said that we could only become friends again if she could have a hug and a dance. So I hugged her... quickly. And I still need to dance with her. I wanted to tell you this so you wouldn't get jealous. I love you so much, America. You know that."

She considered this. "I know that. I want two things. To be your last dance. And a fancy honeymoon, just you and me."

I thought for a second. "Anything for you, my dear."

I went with Daphne out to the dance floor. She was smirking at America. America had her arms crossed. I put my hand on her hip and clutched her hand and the music slowed.

"Isn't this nice," she said sadly. "I know you chose America, but can't we be together in private?"

I looked at her. "Okay, Daphne. You've gone too far. I'm sorry, but you have to get over this. I'm dancing with you right now because you're my friend, not my lover."

"I know, I'm being silly." We were silent for the rest of the song. After the song ended, I speed walked over to America and kissed her right then and there.

"I love you," I said.

"I love you, too," she replied, smiling.

We lifted up our toast glasses. "To May, happy birthday!!"

"The crowd answered "happy birthday!" We sipped our cups and then danced for the rest of the night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Been SUPER busy cause I'm in 8th grade and all so I'm sorry this was kinda short. I had started it a little while ago and didn't know how to end it! Thanks for reading!! Love you! Also, if you like the Percy Jackson series, divergent, and The Fault in Our Stars, try reading my other fanfics "After the Giant War" and "The Fault in Our Angels" thanks! 😊