Chapter 7

Maxon pov
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I walked up slowly, remembering when I last saw her. Before the Selection, Daphne, a princess, admitted she liked me during a party. I had told her I didn't have feelings for her, and she got mad. I haven't seen her since. She wasn't even at the wedding.

"Daphne?" I asked. "Maxon? What are you doing out here? Shouldn't you be doing kingly stuff or something?"

I looked at America. She looked confused. She doesn't know Daphne. "What happened?" asked America.

"I don't suppose YOU'RE queen America. I was in the hallway when a rebel attacked. I was cornered. A woman protected me. Then the guards came and helped. That's all."

"That woman was my mother." America said. Daphne looked shocked. "Oh. Tell her that I say 'thank you.' Maxon, can I speak with you alone?"

I looked at America. She was looking at the floor. I walked up to her and stroked her cheek.

"I'll be right back. It'll only be a minute." I kissed her lightly.

Daphne led me to a fountain toward the front of the castle. She looked at me longingly. "Daphne I-!"

"Stop," she said. "You don't have to say anything. I just thought that you and I could change things you know? Two already Ones married and ruling two different countries. Do you know how much power we would have?"

"Daphne, I don't want power. I want happiness. You're a good friend and all, but the system just doesn't work that way. I found someone. And so will you."

"But WHEN? How do you know that I will? My Selection starts in two weeks, Maxon."

"Can we just be friends again? That's all I ask. I beg you."

"Sure," she smiled and bit her lip. "If I get a dance with you and a hug.

I sighed thinking of how America would react to this. "Fine." She smiled as she pulled me into a tight hug.

We walked back to the place where America stood admiring the fountain. She looked up as I approached. I take her hand, kiss her lightly, and head back inside.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you read the Selection novellas, you will read about Daphne. That's where I got the part about Daphne liking and then being mad at Maxon. I did not make that part up!

I hope you enjoyed! Sorry for all the dialogue! Btw I need some ideas for where to take this fanfiction! Thanks! :)