Chapter Ten: Juniper

After Harper told me the fire and the hospital story, I left.  I decided to avoid talking to Harper about her meltdown for now.  I was already really shaken up after learning about the suicide note and I didn't want to be around Harper.  

 Especially a Harper who cries.  

 She was obviously crying about my mom.  I haven't cried since that day.  I refuse to believe that she's gone. 

I also hate crying.  I used to cry a lot as a child and Harper was usually the reason why. I remember her yelling at me one day.

"You can't let people take advantage of you..."

 After Harper screamed her head off at me, my mom took me to get ice cream and we sat down at a little table outside the shop.

 "Juniper?  Harper is always going to be a big bully, and you have to learn to ignore her."  My mom told me stroking my brown-as-mud hair.

 "Yeah, I know, but...I feel bad for her sometimes.  She doesn't have any friends."    I said looking up at my mom.

 "Honey, Harper is a...difficult child, but I've raised you well and you are mature enough to understand that.  I don't want you to cry the next time she bullies you.  I want you to look at her, tell her to stop, and walk away."

 The next week at school, I noticed Harper sitting by herself in the cafeteria.  My table was full except for one seat at the end, and so I decided to invite her over. It was probably a stupid thing to do, but a part of me sympathized with her.  And another part of me wanted to see how I could handle her.   

 "Hey, Harper, do you want to sit with me and my friends?"  I said pointing to the table.   

 "No, I want to be alone."   

 "Well, then...If you change your mind then you can sit with us."  I offered.    Harper didn't say anything, so I walked away.  

 A few minutes later Harper came and sat at the end of the table.    I smiled at her, and I felt, in some small way, that I had won.   

 "Er, how much?"  I asked the car mechanic who had my precious, but broken car. I wasn't too keen about leaving my car here, but apparently this repair shop was the best chain in Oregon.  The owner must be making buckets of money.    He told me the price and I sighed.  I guess working in the museum and babysitting wasn't enough.   

 "Um, okay, I-"   

 "I got it," I heard a voice say as I looked up and inwardly groaned.  It was Edward, the annoying guy who basically mauled my car with a rock.  He was smiling at me as he waved the check.   

 "No, no no,"  I mumbled.  "You don't have to do this."   

 "I feel really bad-"   

 "It's okay." I muttered as I took out my checkbook.   

 "Let the guy pay.  He obviously wants to,"  The annoyed mechanic said looking like he wanted to slap both of us.  I just wanted to slap Edward.  This guy was literally everywhere.    Edward handed the check over and turned to me.  

 "So, how's it going?  Did you think about the...note yet?"   

 "Um, yea, but it's probably nothing.  Just...don't worry about it."  I turned to leave.  "Oh and, thank you for that, you didn't have to." I said giving him a small smile.   

 "Yea, no problem.  Hey, um...I think I'm going to the police tomorrow."   

 What.  

   "What?"  I spun around.  "Edward, it's nice of you to care, but I don't think this is a good idea, and I strongly advise that you just...stay away from this."     

 "I was up all night thinking about the note.  Nothing seems right.  First of all the handwriting.  Second of all, "Goodbye cruel world?"  that is so hackneyed.   She spelled "cruel" wrong!  How does a forty-something psychiatrist spell "cruel" wrong?"  Edward exclaimed.    

 "Maybe she was in a hurry.  Look, I don't care if it was hackneyed or whatever, okay?-"   

 "What kind of daughter are you?"  He snapped.    I scoffed and left the shop, but in my head I was asking myself the same question