Chapter Five: Harper

For some ridiculous reason, Juniper is letting me come to her house to stay.She hates me.I think.

How on earth am I supposed to get to freaking Portland.

Buses are the most pointless things in the history of existence. Their big, smelly, use up so much gasoline, they are slow, full of annoying people with no personality's and smug faces. You never know who you're sitting next to, where their going. For all you know they could be on their way to rob an orphanage or bomb a building.

Some people say I'm a downer.

Yet I find myself on a bus, rolling along the highway, watching it blur by the windows like a watercolor painting. I haven't talked to my neighbor on the bus. She strut down the aisle like a model, making sure everyone noticed her. When she sat next to me she bat her eyelashes and sat her thin, frail body down.

When we stopped at the next bus stop she got off. I was alone for a few more miles. Then he came on.

He was tall and had blond hair, he was alone too. He smiled when he sat next to me. I slightly nodded my head.

"Hey" he said. I turned my head towards the window, forcing myself to watch the blank landscape roll by. 

"I said 'hey'" he said sternly. I couldn't tell if he was joking. I didn't care. Only 2 hours to go I told myself.He grabbed my shoulder."Hey are you okay?" His hand firmly placed on my back.

"I'm fine alright just shut up". 

"Jeez you just seemed upset". He said turning away. "Where you headed?"

"I said shut up"

"I'm going to Portland." He said. I found my face growing towards the window. "From the look of your ticket you're going there too". He laughed. I grabbed my ticket and buried it under my sweater."Wes" he said. 

"Huh"

"My name"

"Thats great", my nose was practically smooshed on the window.

"This is the part where you tell me yours.""Harper" my voice trailed off.

"That's really.."

"Stop"

"But-"

"Just stop". There was a long pause.This is going to be a long ride