Chapter Two: Juniper

I sat on the sofa and rested my head against the silky cushions. The little girl, Felicity, was finally asleep, and I could relax and do hours of mindless channel flicking.The girl's opulent parents wouldn't be coming home until 1 am, so in the meantime, I could relax as if there was no tomorrow.The phone rang."Ehhh," I groaned, as I slowly got up from the comfy sofa and trotted through the white, spotless kitchen, past the endless glass windows, and to the small table in the hallway.

"Hello," I said.

"Juniper," The unfamiliar voice said. He didn't say it posed as a question, but more like a statement.

"Um..." I hesitated not sure whether to reveal my name or not. "Who is this?"

"That's not important. Did you book a flight to England?"

"Er...no, I didn't...." I trailed off.

"Yes you did. The flight is booked under Juniper Medley."

"I'm sorry, how do you know my name?" I asked.

"I was told you'd be here-" I hung up on him, and set the phone down. I had no time for stupid marketing people. I sat down on the sofa again and and turned up the volume on the movie that was playing. This time my cell phone rang. I groaned. I picked it up, in case it was someone I knew.

"You need to come down to the airport now." The same guy spoke again.

"Look, I don't know who you are, and I didn't book flight. I'm kind of doing something right now, and I'd appreciate it if you could stop," I commanded.

"Your mother is here," The guy replied.

"My mother is dead." I said, knowing now that this guy was a phony.

"I know what you did to your mother," He whispered. I froze and all the blood drained from my face. My heart leaped up to my throat and started racing like a racehorse desperate for the win.

"I did nothing...to her..." I said, trying to keep my voice strong. Sudden flashbacks from my time living in a Seattle apartment with my roommate, Harper flooded into my brain. It wasn't your fault, Juniper. If Harper hadn't...I shoved away any memories of Harper and my mother to a place in my brain called "Stupid Stuff"

"Come, or I take the girl," He replied .I turned down the TV, and strained my ear to make sure Felicity was alright. Her parents would never forgive me if I let anything happen to her. I wouldn't forgive myself either. I had had enough of this man, and so I hung up and quickly dialed 911. Just as I was about to hit the call button, the other phones started to ring. I switched off the phone, because I realized that this was probably some guy prank calling me. I turned off the TV and ran up the stairs, my heart beat still going up, up, up. I ran into Felicity's bedroom, to make sure she was safe and sound in her bed.

She wasn't.