The Locals

Charlie looked over at the clock on his desk, noticing that the reporter was going to walk in any minute. He had given the receptionist Carla orders to let her back this time, shocking the poor woman. He was shocked himself, to be honest.

To say that Charlie Swan was concerned would be an understatement. From the very beginning, he knew that these weren't ordinary animal attacks. After seeing the first body, he immediately went out to La Push and spoke with Billy and Jacob, who then called in Sam. He was still murky on a lot of the details surrounding the wolf packs and whatever else was out there, but he knew whatever this was, it was something they were better adapted to take care of than the Forks police. He kept up the appearances of an investigation and hunt for some large animal, but ultimately it was all a smokescreen until the wolves could take care of the situation.

He sighed, glancing down at the photo of Bella, Edward, and Renesmee. They were safe in Vancouver with the rest of the Cullens. At least that was one less thing for him to worry about, what with the reporter snooping around.

He didn't want to let her in on the case, but he could tell from talking to her last night that she wasn't going to give up. And even if she went back to Seattle, someone else could be sent in her stead. Even Sue agreed. It was better to work with her. At least that way he could control what information she got. Once the packs took care of the creature, he could feed her evidence that it was a rabid bear or cougar and she would move on to the next story.

Blasted Mike and his meddling. If he hadn't spoken to her, he could have probably gotten by without getting her involved. But that didn't matter now. The damage was done and all he could hope to do was control it and keep an eye on her. At least the folks in town were wary of her. Less chance they'd blab something.

He glanced up, seeing Carla leading the reporter to his office. Sighing, he stood up and walked to the door, meeting them.

"Ms. Winslow is here," Carla said. Charlie mustered a smile as Mara stepped in.

"Good to see you, Chief," she said brightly.

"Have a seat, Ms. Winslow," he said, motioning to a chair.

"Please, it's Mara," she said. "If we're going to be working together, we can at least be on first name basis."

"Fine, Mara. Let's get started..."

Mike lounged at his desk, browsing through The Seattle Times on his computer

Mike lounged at his desk, browsing through The Seattle Times on his computer. He was waiting for Chief Swan to tell them whatever their orders were for the day. Hardly anything exciting ever happened in Forks, so the entire department was focused on the hikers.

The others seemed to go along with the chief's explanation that it was animal attacks and they had already spent hours out in the woods with rifles trying to hunt it down. Anytime he brought up how strange things were, they laughed and told him he was watching too much TV. Chief Swan was also spending a decent amount of time up at La Push, which Mike found strange.