Chapter 1 - The Messy Beginning

*Beep beep, beep beep, beep beep, beep beep, bee-*

I slammed my fist on the pestering alarm clock, accompanied by a groan which contained much hatred. I opened an eye and grabbed my phone, immediately unlocking it and scrolling far down my messages with hope until I found Jack and I's conversation. Nothing, as usual. Jack and I hadn't spoken for eight months and twenty-three days now. Since I'd left for College, Jack and I had grown apart, we dated all of my last high school year and just before I left for College but by now we didn't even need to confirm we'd broken up; it was obvious. I stared at the last thing I'd texted Jack: 'Ok'. That's all it said and he hadn't replied, I didn't blame him though. What are you supposed to say to someone in an awkward conversation when they simply text 'Ok'? This had affected me terribly. I couldn't go back to Omaha because of it. I couldn't go back because I was so afraid I'd run into Jack. It was awkward, I didn't know what to say to him and clearly he didn't know what to say to me anymore. So instead I stayed in my claustrophobic apartment, mainly in my bedroom with as little outdoor contact as I could possibly manage. However, it had come to the time where I could no longer hibernate as I wished. Christmas was approaching and this meant I had to face Omaha for the first time in almost a year. Mom had always been nagging me to come home but I stuck with the same old excuse of that 'College was too busy'. Jack had made me afraid of my hometown without even realising it. I found myself making up excuses of why I couldn't leave New York. I'd always loved the city that never sleeps, but now I preferred to sleep myself rather than to go out and adventure the streets of what I'd always dreamed of as a child. I'd wasted everything, and it was all Jack's fault.