chapter 9

Jack and I have left for the rink. I let him have the aux cord cause I like his music tastes. We danced and sang as usual. Once we got closer to the rink, I started to zone out because I thought about what had to be said at practice.

" Hello, earth to Bella," I heard Jack say. He turns the volume down.

I looked at him "yea?" 

"Did you hear what I said?"

" no, sorry, Jack. I was thinking about practice and the game/Bailey issue that must be resolved by today."

" I asked if you were going to be home tomorrow to watch Luke's game. Bella, say what is on your mind to coach, and maybe before or after, pull Bailey aside, so you don't have to worry about the other girls. If anything happens and you need me, I will be there. Okay?"

I nod. "thanks, Jack." I say, looking at him.

"Thanks for what?" he says, catching a quick look at me and returning to the road.

" for calming me down when needed and helping with my anxiety. I wouldn't say I like it, and I feel bad that you have to deal with me having attacks. I don't know why I get so worked up over things." 

" I don't care alone as you are safe and healthy. I would do anything for your bells. Our family and I care about you. You don't worry about me or anyone else. You can't help it, and you have no control over it. Don't stress about it.

Just like that, we are pulling into the rink's parking lot. I looked at the entrance doors and took a deep breath. I look at Jack, who is turning off the car, and he looks at me and smiles and nods.

I opened the car door and grabbed my bag and sticks from the trunk. Jack takes my hockey stick for me and wraps his free arm around my shoulders. We walk through the lobby and yet again see the coach m talking with another family. 

I didn't want to talk to him yet, so I redirected Jack to the window that looked into the rink. ( like the lobby has high tops that are in front of some glass windows that overlook the practice arena ice)

He gave me a questioning look, but I ignored it. I still had time before getting dressed, so I asked Jack if he had any money for me to get hot chocolate. He hands me 5 dollars. I head over to the concussions. Miss Jen was working today, so he smiled when she saw me.

" Hey sweetie, how are you."

" hi Miss Jen, I have been doing okay. You?" I replied,

"Great, so far. Where is your partner in crime?" she asked, looking around the lobby behind me, looking for Bailey."

"If I am being honest, I don't know. Things are kinda rocky right now, but I am going to talk to her after practice," I say 

"Oh, I am sorry, sweetie. What can I get you today?" 

" Can I have hot chocolate with extra whipped cream and chocolate sauce like usual?" I say, handing her the five-dollar bill

She smiles and nods. She then takes my dollar and puts it into the register. She said it would be five minutes until it was ready, so I walked over and sat next to Jack.

I have been thinking a lot about the draft day and so on. The day they get drafted, I know they won't eminently go to where ever they're drafted. Draft day is coming up in a couple of weeks, 5 to be exact. I have to spend as much time with them before they officially leave for their draft picks.

I look at Jack then back to the boy's step under 16' team practicing on the ice through the window. I laid my head on jacks shoulder. He didn't say anything cause he knew I needed time alone with him, so he just laid his head on mine.