👨‍🍳 13. Knead A Contract

Talking with Mr. Pheles made me realize that despite all that happened, I may still have the responsibility for processing that man's funeral.

However, Mr. Jinn has already completed most of the work, down from the hospital papers to the cremation, by the time the moon has replaced the sun.

All I'll just have to do is deliver the news. I'm sure his sudden death will cause a sensation in the culinary world.

I check my phone, only to discover that my phone is out of battery. I ride back to the direction of my apartment yet I am bombarded with the sound of sirens and red flashing lights from a distance.

Rushing to the mob, I make my way to the front. Uniformed men walk back and forth towards the building with the hose in hand. The burst of water is directed to a particular area.

Before I can fully take in what the hell is happening, Jacob runs straight to me.

"Boss! I've been calling you!"

"What is this, Jacob? Why is our office on fire?" I struggle to maintain my composure but my trembling hands can't hide the frustration. We were just bouncing back but now this.

Can I even catch a break?

"It's not clear what happened either. We were just doing our job when something explodes in the kitchen—"

"Wait up. Explosion? How is everyone?" Trepidation course through me just imagining the worst.

"Nesa's nearest to the accident and has been sent to the hospital right away. There are those who have minor injuries from escaping but don't worry they are currently treated in the ambulance," he summarizes and relief washes over me.

At least, it's not as grim as I am anticipating. I'm not sure I can handle several deaths in a single day.

Jacob leads me to my staff. Seeing their ashen face makes me guilty for a reason but thankfully they are safe. I still have some money from my work in that world and I can manage to compensate them. It'll be a heavy burden on my shoulders if something happens to them under my wing.

"Jacob, just bring them to the hospital and have a full body check-up. Make sure they are all in good condition."

"Alright."

My head begins calculating the upcoming expenses as I gaze back to our rental space. The fire has been extinguished and only black traces of smoke and flames mark the white-painted walls of the exterior.

We have insurance but if the kitchen is the source of fire, I might have to say goodbye to all my pieces of equipment that cost me months and years to save just to buy them.

While I blank out thinking of the cost, someone catch my attention.

I have seen him earlier and I don't think I can mistake Dracula in a crowd. With that bright scarlet eyes, I doubt I can ignore him.

Nevertheless, he has shorter hair and wearing a simple tee and jeans. Our eyes lock for a whole minute before he leaves. It's almost like baiting me and goading me to follow him.

As the person who is not the sharpest tool in the shed, I do so and excuse myself from Jacob.

Dracula's trail brings me to the warehouse behind my apartment building. With no person in sight and trees and buildings surrounding me, I am reminded of the words they say about him.

Regardless, I try to ease the sudden pace of my heart. The best he can do is bury me six feet underground. Great.

"What is it?" I initiate the conversation while his back is facing me.