Chapter 6

Chapter 6

The first thing you will learn today is how to shoot a gun. The second thing is how to win a fight.” 

Four presses a gun into everyone's hands and walks away. 

“Thankfully, if you are here, you already know how to get on and off a moving train, so I don’t need to teach you that.”

The Erudite boy that I saved shifted uncomfortably which drew Fours attention.

“You don't know how to. Do you.” He stated.

I looked away and toned them out as I stared at the gun in my hand. 

‘I wonder if I can shoot a gun. I can't shoot a bow n’ arrow because of the curse that was put on everyone of Poseidon's children, I'm not sure if that applies to guns or not.’

“Percy!” I heard someone shout, making me jump and drop the gun. Startled, I pressed my back to the wall and got into a defensive position ready to defend myself by whoever said anything. I shook slightly and my eyes darted all over the room looking for any assailants before they landed on Four. I shakily pushed myself off of the wall and got out of my defensive position.

The room was eerily quiet which made it super awkward for me. I hesitantly looked around again, just to be sure that there was no danger.

“Yes Four?” I ask quietly.

I noticed Four blinking at me confused. 

“I have severe PTSD, remember?” I say softly answering all of their unspoken questions.

A light bulb seemed to go off in Fours head and he looked down ashamed. 

“I’m sorry Percy, I forgot.”

“It’s fine.”

“Umm…” four continued a bit confused. “I was wondering why that dude was looking at me when I mentioned getting on a moving train.”

”Oh-oh it's because I threw him on the train.”

Four’s eyes hardened for a second, but then it softened. 

“I guess we won't throw him out, and I won't say anything, but if you help someone like that, you and them are gone.”

I nodded in understanding/acceptance.

“Initiation is divided into three stages. We will measure your progress and rank you according to your performance in each stage. The stages are not weighed equally in determining your final rank, so it is possible, though difficult, to drastically improve your rank over time.

We believe that preparation eradicates cowardice, which we define as the failure to act in the midst of fear,” says Four. “Therefore each stage of initiation is intended to prepare you in a different way. The first stage is primarily physical; the second, primarily emotional; the third, primarily mental.”

Four stares at me worridley for a second, but I keep my face emotionless and try to not think about what that would mean, so he turned away.

“But what…” Peter yawns through his words. “What does firing a gun have to do with…bravery?”

Four flips the gun in his hand, presses the barrel to Peter’s forehead, and clicks a bullet into place. Peter freezes with his lips parted, the yawn dead in his mouth.

“Wake. Up,” Four snaps. “You are holding a loaded gun, you idiot. Act like it.” 

He lowers the gun. Once the immediate threat is gone, Peter’s green eyes harden. I’m surprised he can stop himself from responding, after speaking his mind all his life in Candor, but he does, his cheeks red.