Chapter 3

Chapter 3

As soon as Gaia achieved lift off, the ground solidified.

Demigods stopped sinking, though many were still buried up to their waists. Sadly, the monsters

seemed to be digging themselves out more quickly. They charged the Greek and Roman ranks, taking advantage of the demigods’ disorganization. I pulled a bunch of water out of the ground and the air around me and froze it then threw them at the monsters buying the demigods some time.

I raised my hands into the air and summoned all of the water that I could. I twisted the water all around me and shot it towards the ground making it shoot me into the air like it would a geyser.

As I ascended into the air I gathered water vapor and the water from the clouds to twirl around me like a vortex and shot myself higher. Soon I was in the eye of a maelstrom.

Directly above me, Festus grappled with the earth goddess. Gaea kept disintegrating, trying to trickle back to the ground, but the winds kept her aloft. Festus sprayed her with flames, which seemed to force her into solid form. Meanwhile, from Festus’s back, Leo blasted the goddess with flames of his own and hurled insults. “Potty Sludge! Dirt Face! THIS IS FOR MY MOTHER, ESPERANZA VALDEZ!”

His whole body was wreathed in fire. Rain hung in the stormy air, but it only sizzled and steamed around him.

I zoomed towards them using the newly falling rain to help boost me faster.

Gaia turned into loose white sand, but I stopped her by sucking most of the water out of her.

Gaia fought back. When she wasn’t disintegrating, she lashed out with shrapnel blasts of stone and soil that I barely had time to deflect. Containing Gaia and keeping myself aloft with water was really hard. I had never done anything this difficult before. I felt like he was carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders, and trust me I know what that feels like.

Together we rose. Festus creaked and groaned with the effort, but he continued to gain altitude.

“YOU CANNOT DEFEAT ME!” Gaia crumbled to sand, only to get blasted by more flames. Her body melted into a lump of glass, shattered, then re-formed again as human. “I AM ETERNAL!”

“Eternally annoying!” Leo yelled, as he urged Festus higher.

I rose with them

I moved closer to Gaia to make sure that none of the rain/water touched her.

“FOOLISH CHILDREN!” she yelled in anger trying to get free. Her face contorted with miniature earthquakes and mudslides. The force of Gaia’s anger was so great that I momentarily lost control of the water that kept me in the sky. I would’ve dropped into free fall, but Festus caught me in one of his huge claws. 

I uncapped riptide and started to stab and slash at Gaia as we gained altitude. She tried to block all my blows with her powers, but being so far from the earth has weakened her greatly. The air was starting to be too thin to breathe and Gaia's essence seemed to churn more sluggishly the higher we went.

“YOU CAN'T CONTAIN ME FOREVER!” she screamed loudly.

“We don't need forever, just a few more seconds,” I said sassily.

I balled my hand into a fist and hit her in the face. 

‘I know, I know I shouldn’t hit girls, but c'mon she deserved it.’ I thought to myself.