I offered an uncertain shrug. I wasn't sure how I felt, myself. I hadn't had a moment alone to process everything yet. "I don't know. I feel different, but the same. I already knew I loved her and that she was my forever, but now it's... more."

Ari whimpered, growing bored with our lack of attention. Dinah set her on the carpet so she could totter over to the colorful drawers stuffed with her toys. She plopped down in front of it, busying herself with a set of plush blocks.

Dinah clapped my back. "That's the mate bond solidifying. It makes everything feel more intense." Her smile softened into something more serious. "Mila's lucky to have you."

I returned a sentimental smile of my own. "I'll do everything in my power to deserve her for the rest of my existence."

Dinah patted my back. "I know. More importantly, so does Camila."

There was a moment of silence that stretched a little too long. I cleared my throat. "So, um, where's Demi?" The eldest was supposed to have been back from her shift at the hospital hours ago.

"Hunting. She hadn't been in a while, and we weren't sure when you'd be home, so..."

"I can watch Ari until she gets back, if you have somewhere to be," I offered.

Dinah shifted, her body language radiating discomfort. "Uh, I was supposed to hang with Mani. But I don't think she wants to be around me right now."

My chest compressed with concern for my best friend. I knew how Dinah felt about Normani, even if she refused to admit her feelings.

"What did you do?" I asked, wary that I was treading into a potential minefield.

"Nothing bad," Dinah insisted.

"Define 'nothing bad.' I have a feeling ,Mani may disagree."

Dinah peeked at me, embarrassed by what she was about to confess. "I made a joke about you and Mila, and how the two of you were probably getting it on."

"Continue," I said sharply, now positive I didn't want to hear the rest of this story.

"I told her I wouldn't mind having that. You know, a mate. Someone to be all goopy in love with, like you and Mila?"

"Sure," I drawled, the syllable dripping with sarcasm. "And then?"

"I might have suggested we try it out for fun. You know, to test the waters and see how she felt about me? But she got really mad. She told me I was 'out of my fucking mind.' There may have been some ranting about Barbies and Stepford wives or some shit, I wasn't exactly paying attention, because she hit me with a tree and stormed off."

I couldn't help but snort at the image. "She hit you with a tree?"