Forty-four

Alexa Ramirez

"Why did you even organize this party without me having any idea," I said as I walk outside my room with my sister by my side.

"We just want to give you a welcome and birthday party," she replied.

Welcome party? I don't need a welcome party at all. Yes, I may be away for a year but it doesn't mean that I need a welcome party once I return. "I don't even need a party," I replied making her smile.

"That's what you think but I'm telling you, you need this," she replied. I saw excitement passes through her eyes. What's too exciting with this party?

Once we are already meters away from the stairs, my sister just leaves me there. I looked at her but she just smiled at me. What the heck is going on here? Moments later I heard my mother greeting all the visitors. She's saying something about me. "Good evening visitors, here is our birthday girl!" says my mom with a smile on her face. That's my cue to move. I descended the stairs as I smiled to all this people who attended my birthday party.

When I reach the bottom part of the stairs, my dad hands me a glass of wine and asks me to give a toast. I don't actually want to do it but for my father, I just did it. How boring is this party of mine. The sea of faces also raised their glasses for a toast. "Might want to say something?" whispers my mom. I didn't even say yes but she hands me the microphone.

I hesitantly reach out for it. Might as well go with the flow. I smiled again and started to talk. "Good evening everyone. I want to take this chance to express my deepest gratitude to all of you who sacrificed their time to be here and join me celebrate my birthday and to welcome me back. Thank you so much. I hope you will enjoy the night!" I said with cheerfulness. Well, I'm really thankful to all this people because they give time to attend the party. I handed the microphone to my parents.

They just said things to which the people laugh. "Oh, before I forget, can we have her birthday cake!" says my mom. I looked at Jade but she just smiles at me. She clearly knows the fact that I hate having cakes on my birthday because I don't want to blow a candle.

"Here it is. Watch! It's her first time after twenty years, to blow a candle of her own birthday cake," says my mom to which the people laugh.

I turned towards the person who is holding the cake and I can say that I'm surprised to see the person I didn't expect to see. He is wearing a blue t-shirt with something written in it paired with some black jeans. He looks handsome in it. So simple but too appealing.

He is staring at me like I'm the most beautiful woman he had ever seen in his life. "Jayden," I said.

"Yes, babe?" he asked making me stare at him intently.

"Alexa! Blow the candle before I'll do it myself," says my mom that everyone laughed.

"Happy Birthday," greets Jayden to which I reluctantly smiled. The crowd greeted me before I blow the candle.

When I'm done, my mom tells everyone to have some fun and enjoy the rest of the night. "Happy birthday," says Jayden.

"Thank you," I replied. I looked around and notice that my visitors are now busy doing their own businesses. Typical party for rich men. That's why I hate having a party during my birthday because people are just there to find a business partner and not for me. I also noticed familiar faces. I saw Trent and Bryan. The heck are they doing here? The worst face that I saw is Grace. Why did they even invite her here?

"If you can excuse me, I just want to talk to some of my visitors," I said. When Jayden nodded, I immediately turned on my heels and approach one of my visitors. And, that's what I did throughout the party. I tried to talk to people just to avoid Jayden and Grace. Are they still together?