•••

I paused, took a deep breath, and washed my face again. I have always avoided remembering this, it was a memory I thought I had erased from me. But I am ready to say it now even though it's hurting me, I want to tell her. I have to tell her.

Maybe she noticed my hesitation and says "You don't have to tell me if you can't"

I looked at her and she smiled, I cannot see it but her eyes says it.

"I understand" She said again.

I nodded and nonetheless continued, holding onto her hands tighter.

•••

They were finally ready and we walked to the car.

"Let's take a picture," Muneeba said bringing her phone out and the others came around me to pose.

"I am not taking a picture with any of you without my Mama"

Muneefa scoffed and Hafsat rolled her eyes. "She is not only your Mama big boy" Abbah joined our conversation fixing my necktie yet again.

His phone rang getting our attention, and I don't know why my heart stopped beating for a minute. We couldn't hear what the person on the other line was saying but it doesn't sound like a piece of good news.

"Innalillahi Wa Inna Ilaihi Rajiun" Abbah exclaimed and the phone fell from his hands, falling onto his knees in the process and repeating the same thing over and over.

Hafsat being the little one was already crying, the twins were asking him what was going on. They all joined Abbah on the floor and I was standing like a statue wondering what sort of bad news will break Abbah like this, especially on today's happy occasion. I didn't know how long it was but I took the phone when I recovered from the shock I went into. The call was still ongoing, it was Abbah's secretary. I find myself speaking to him and he repeated what he said to Abbah. Everything in me crumbles after hearing his words.

•••

I buried my face in my hands, I don't think I can handle saying that. I let go of her hand and stand up.

"Hey?" She called out and joined me. "You don't have to tell me" She added holding my hand again.

"I get it don't be hard on yourself"

This is the first time I was telling someone about myself, the first time I talk about my family since I left them. And the first time I am seeing how bad my decision was. I was completely blinded by my pain that I caused them more pain. How was I so selfish?!

•••

I will never forget what he said, the words will forever remain in my head.

"Sir there is a sudden fire outbreak in the company and your wife and a few others are inside but we are trying our best to rescue them"

I cannot remember what happened or how I got to the company. All I wanted was to see my Mama. I rushed out of the car and the sight broke me yet again, the building was completely engulfed in flames, and knowing my mother was in there had me running towards it without a second thought. Saving her was my only hope. The securities or whatever they were stopped me from going inside. They held me tight so that I couldn't let go, no matter how hard I tried. I fell onto my knees begging them to let me go to my mother.

She was brought out on a stretcher alongside others. I got myself out of their grip and ran to her. She was covered in blood, injured, and looked lifeless, the smile plastered on her face was the only good thing that showed she doesn't seem to be in pain. I cannot believe this was my Mama, my mama that was with me just a few hours ago is the one that was laying in her blood, bruised all over her body.