.Chapter One.

strange happenings

I blinked blearily at the words in front of me, they were staring to slowly blur together in black smudges against the cream pages.

"Ugh just one more chapter..." I mumbled quietly to myself as I flipped the page.

I was rereading my all time favorite book, Sense & Sensibility, as a break from my sewing project. I was making a dress, it was in the regency style so it was just like the characters in Jane Austen books! All I had left to do was put the final few hem stitches in and it would be finished, just the thought made me smile.

I sighed happily, setting my eyes back on the books page and reading through the last few words as I started to feel myself slowly slip into sleep. Grumbling quietly, the book fell and landed open on the floor. I barely heard its thud as I fell unconscious.

•••

"Isabelle! Isabelle! Wake up!"

My eyes blinked open blearily, my eyebrows furrowing in confusion as I struggled to figure out where the hell I was.

"Are you unwell? You look a bit peaky dear," The woman across from me spoke. She seemed older, her face wrinkling around her eyes in concern as she leaned forward, placing a gentle hand on my forehead.

"What's going on??" I sat up stiff straight, my hands fumbling around me, but they only met cold, worn leather, not the warm sheets of my bed.

"Don't you remember, dearie? Were going to visit your mothers cousins," she paused, giving me another concerned look. "The Middleton's? They live at Barton Park?"

If it were even possible my eyes would've widened further. "Barton Park..." I muttered, why did that name sound so familiar.

oh god...

SENSE AND SENSIBILITY.

"Right... the Middleton's," I replied, I felt like I was gonna vomit. What the hell is happening. Squeezing my eyes closed I started to feel myself panic. This must be some kind of weird dream, I must've fallen asleep after reading the book and now my imaginations running wild again, i'll wake up any second now... any second now. There's absolutely no way I was in my favorite book and movie... No way.

"We're almost there, dear. We'll get you some biscuits when we get inside, you've barely eaten anything all day." The woman patted my hand, which she had somehow managed to get a hold of, reassuringly, a worried smile on her thin lips. 

I nodded timidly before looking around. I had been so absorbed in my freak-out that I didn't realize that my surroundings had changed. All around me was wood, like I was in a box of some kind, but two small windows showed that we were moving. A swift bump rattled the lantern in the corner as I realized I was in a carriage. An actual carriage!

I took a deep breath, taking further notice of my surroundings, if this was a dream I might as well enjoy it! I looked down at myself, I was wearing a light blue dress with a darker little spencer jacket, it had little forget-me-not's embroidered on the cuffs and collar. It was gorgeous! A delicate lacy chemisette was tucked into the dresses low collar.

The woman in front of me wore a lilac dress, her hair neatly tucked back into a bonnet that tied around her wrinkled face. She appeared to be in her late forties, but I'd never been good at guessing people's ages, she looked quite a bit like my aunt. I opened my mouth to ask for her name but before I could speak the carriage came to a shaky halt.