Chapter 25: Is It Time to Let Go?

December 8, 00XX

Ythyr knew the time loop weakened as time passed. Elliot wasn't wrong when he said they should end this as soon as possible. But that didn't mean Ythyr had to give up on making sure Elliot's was safe, too.

He tried not to think about it, but sometimes his thoughts would drift back to Elliot and what might happen if he lost him. He thought of all the times he and Elliot risked themselves for each other. It was a fun two months, but it could be so much more. Ythyr wanted to spend every day with Elliot until the very end even after the loop ends. He keeps his promises dearly but the thought of losing Elliot made him feel empty inside.

Maybe it was attachment or maybe it was finally having someone be aware of the loop after millions of years. Or maybe it could be love. Whatever it was, Ythyr knew after this, he'd be different forever.

Ythyr glanced over at Elliot. His heart started beating faster as he realized how close they were from losing each other.  He had no choice, if they wasted more time then all their hardwork would be in vain. He tried to convince Elliot to stay with him, but Elliot wouldn't budge. So Ythyr opted to do everything in his power to make sure they will succeed this time. Ythyr felt like he was being selfish by choosing this one angel that had merely appeared in his life than his entire race. If only there was another way...

"You're thinking about something," Elliot said.

"We don't have to do this."

Elliot tilted his head curiously. "You're chickening out at the last moment? Why? We've already done everything we can."

Ythyr shook his head. "I know, but I'm still scared. I just don't know what after, what to do without you..."

Elliot placed his hand on Ythyr's shoulder. "Live the life you deserve. You deserve to live. I want to see you happy, to achieve your dreams. To travel the world and freely use your magic. Don't hold yourself back because of me."

Ythyr looked up into Elliot's eyes. He felt tears building in his eyes. "I don't want to lose you."

"I am scared, Ythyr, but you've suffered enough. I've only been in three loops and I'm already tired. But you? You remembered everything," Elliot's eyes softened. "You went through hell and you came out stronger. You've earned the right to be happy. So please let me ease your pain, let me do this."

"Elliot for once stop acting hero and think about yourself," Ythyr snapped. Tears streamed down his face as he glared.

"I'm not acting hero because it makes me feel better! I'm doing this because I care about you. Because I love you." Those three words made Ythyr pause. Elliot was saying the same thing he did. Ythyr's chest ached, his throat tightened. The pain was too much.

"I love you too," Ythyr choked out.

Elliot sighed and trembled. He placed the glass pane on the ground and Ythyr began to chant. Elliot took a deep breath as he watched Ythyr work his magic. The air around them began to shimmer and swirl. Elliot gasped when the vortex of energy burst forth. The sky darkened as clouds rolled in. Rain poured down as lightning flashed across the sky. A crack of thunder echoed in the distance.

Ythyr stood tall as he looked upon Elliot. He smiled as he gazed into Elliot's eyes.

"You asked me last night if I believed in reincarnations. My answer is I do... Ythyr, let's meet again in the future."

"I'll find you I promise."

Elliot's eyes glowed, memories of the true past before the loop began flooded his mind. He remembered his friends and his life. He smiled at the memories and tears flowed through his face.

Ythyr leaned forward and kissed Elliot. Their lips meshed together as they clung to each other.

"I love you okay? Let's have a normal life next time. Remember okay? And enjoy your life, I better not see you soon."

He felt lightweight as he began to fade. The spell boomed into the sky. Elliot's body dissipated like mist in the wind. Ythyr clung desperately as he watched him disappear until there was nothing left but an empty space where Elliot had once stood.

The skies above were clear and blue with a few clouds dotting the horizon. It was a warm day and the sun shone brightly overhead. A gentle breeze blew gently across the land.

Ythyr stood looking up at the sky.

"See you again."

Words: 754