Chapter 10: Know More About You

December 8, 00XX

Boredom consumed Elliot for the past two days. He remembered his first week in the time loop, he was cooped up in his room recovering from the incident. But now, he decided to switch things up. He did some stuff like draw Zaila and failed miserably. Or devour every book he could read at the library. It was all in failure as he learned nothing new.

Everything was fine until the second week began.

I can't escape the training.

Elliot dreaded the sessions again. He has to endure his friend's teasing and the fact he can't easily leave heaven anymore. The angels will be more alert, and he can't bring suspicion upon Ythyr.

It can only mean one thing, he has to train harder and finish his sessions faster. But he had other ideas.

Elijah sneered at him. He wore that almighty look that annoyed Elliot. Elliot knew how this fight would play out and how easily he could beat him. Yet defeating him would waste more time, so he did his worst.

Elliot rounded up from Elijah after losing the first match. That stupid smile flashed on Elijah's face.

"You're still a little rusty, but I'll chalk it up to the demon incident. You never reached my level in fighting, huh?" Elijah drawled as he made his way to his side of the arena.

Elliot said nothing, brandishing his sword in his right hand while walking over to his own spot. They were to match again, and whoever won this round would fight Zuriel or Raziel. The twins sat side by side, encouraging him from the stands.

"Beat him up, Elliot!"

"Smack his face down in the dirt!"

They were given the signal to begin and Elliot was the first to move. He charged at Elijah and brought his blade upwards. Elijah easily countered it and their swords met with a clang that rang throughout the air. He was forced back as Elijah prepared his own strike.

Elliot stepped to the side when Elijah thrust his sword forwards and he brought down his own to twist it around the blade and make him drop his weapon. Elijah expected this and unsummoned his sword and made it reappear in his other hand. He moved it to strike down his side.

Elliot was about to move his own sword to deflect the attack, but then he had another plan. Because what better way to ditch the training than to lose on purpose? Instead, he dropped his own sword and let himself get sliced along the elbow. Elijah immediately backed away at the sight of blood rolling down his arm.

"Elliot! What the hell!" Elijah yelled out, "Time out!"

Elliot watched as he came closer, looking furious with concern. In the stands, his friends watched on with collected confusion at the scene before them. He had to admit, it was rare for him to lose to Elijah of all people.

"What the heck was that about!?" Elijah pointed at him with an accusing look. They both knew that even if he was sick and messed in the head, he could avoid making a simple mistake like that.

"My hand slipped," he lied. Sure, it was a dirty move. Petty even. But he couldn't last another hour of training or he'll go crazy.

"Like hell it did. Let me see your wound." Elijah took his arm and flipped it over where the cut was. The wound was shallow, but it was already healing. Elliot jerked his arm back from his grip.

"It's fine. I was just rusty, didn't you say so?" Elliot turned towards the referee who was keeping watch by the stands, "Look, I don't think I'm ready to fight yet. Tell the Captain I'll be in my room if anyone needs me."