"It's like I look at other girls and I just see why I left you the first time, you just can't compare"

"Devin please" the tears were nonstop streaming down Avery's face.
"Tell me you're lying"

"You're pathetic"

"Dev please!"

He got ready to push her against the counter but that's when devins eyes shot open.

He looked over at Avery asleep in his arms.
She had her hands on his chest sleeping peacefully.
He carefully rolled her onto her side of the bed, walking to the kitchen to get some water.

The nightmare of him hurting Avery again wasn't a one-time thing, it has been just about every night since they've gotten back together.
The part where he puts his hands on her is new, it's only been for the last few nights and it's been hell.

Since the dreams have started he hasn't wanted to touch Avery at all out of fear of hurting her.
It's started to cause an issue in their 2-month-long relationship, and it seems too early to have issues.

He went back to their room, which was Avery's room but Devin has been staying with her for months, he sat in the chair across from her bed, just watching her.

Her chest rises just to fall again.

She's so at peace while she is asleep, he knows it is the only time daily stress can't get her, her troubles can't reach her.
He sat there for hours, just watching to make sure she was okay.

she woke up at 8, he had been there watching her for 5 hours, she sat up after noticing the empty side of the bed.
She saw him sitting in the corner, chin in his hands.

She raised a brow in confusion.
"Baby what are you doing?"

He lightly shook his head brushing it off, but she knew something was obviously wrong, anybody could tell by how red his eyes were and the anxious bouncing of his leg.

He was tired.

He looked like he was about to drop at any moment from exhaustion.

She gave him a questioning look but got no response.
He slowly stood up looking around the room like he was lost.

"Hey I gotta go," his strained voice said.

He grabbed his phone off the nightstand next to her.

"Devin, what's wrong?"

"Nothing I'm okay," he said kissing the top of her head.

"Please talk to me"

She never got a verbal response, just him walking out of her room.

"Devin!"

After hearing her front door shut she threw herself back down onto her bed.
It's too early to deal with this.

•• ••

After many texts of Avery begging for Devin to come back over he agreed that night.
They laid in bed watching movies and eating snacks, Devin hadn't really had much to say, he just held Avery wrapped in his arms while staring blankly at the TV, if somebody were to walk in and ask him what they were watching he probably couldn't answer correctly.

He moved his arm as his hand was falling asleep holding her so tight for so long.

"Ow Devin!" Avery flinched when he moved his arm.

He quickly grabbed her not acknowledging how he even hurt her.

"Your watch is stuck in my hair babe"

He unknowingly said "oh" untangling his watch from the knot of hair it had held onto.

"I'm so sorry baby" he kissed her head.

She grabbed the remote pausing the movie.

"Devin, what's wrong? You're not going anywhere till you tell me what's gotten into you"

"Nothin-"

"AHT I don't want to hear it Devin I know something is wrong so tell me"

"Baby I promise"

"If you're gonna start lying to me again you might as well leave now," she said sitting up off him.

"I just don't want to hurt you again..."

"Then don't. That's in your control"

They talked for a while Devin telling her about the nightmares and what's been keeping him up all night, how it had been days since he got more than a few hours of sleep.

Avery did feel bad, she could see it was eating him up on the inside and that hurt her, even if he hurt her in the past she didn't care that was then she couldn't watch him suffer no matter what he's done.

Their night changed to where it was Devin laying on Avery, she had her hands on his head one playing with his hair.
She laid there until he felt safe enough to get some sleep finally, and after a while, he finally did but not before he warned himself messing this relationship up would be the stupidest thing he could ever do.

###
Thought? Theories? I would love to hear them!