8 | Starry Night

Exhaustion breezes over you with a yawn. With a quick stretch in your chair, you put away your notes and textbooks, cutting off your study session for the night.

Your desk clock flashes 11:30 as you slide out of your chair like a deflated puppet. You trudge over to your bed, switch off your lamp, and fall face down onto the soft cushion of your mattress; your limbs sinking as you breathe a satisfied sigh. But it seems the universe has other plans for you because your phone buzzes on your bedside, and despite ignoring it with a groan of displeasure, it buzzes again...once. Twice. Three times. Four-

You snatch it up with a gruff expression, the harsh screen light making your eyes squint as yet another notification appears. Without checking them, you switch it to Do not disturb and discard it before rolling onto your back, regretfully more awake as you gape at the blank ceiling.

You begin to count all the times you've lied in these recent weeks (too many for your liking) like your counting sheep, only to sigh with regret, wondering who you've become. The worst part is that you find it...thrilling. Maybe it's because you've never had a rebellious phase...Or maybe you're just more selfish than you've allowed yourself to believe.

No less than three minutes later, soft tapping sounds from your bedroom window, irregular and six times in-counting. Perplexed, (and a little concerned) you stumble over, flicking on the light and pulling back your curtains, only to be met with the dry night; a cloudless navy rippled with stars. Rain would've been your best guess, although it made little sense.

After a few seconds, you flinch with a spike to your heart as a twig lands on the glass between your eyes. Bewildered, your eyes dart down to your front lawn to find none other than Oikawa holding a handful of misshapen twigs and wearing an adorably ridiculous smile as he tries to withhold a laugh at your expense.

Fighting a smile, you open the window. "This isn't a 90's move, you know," you quip, voice failing a whisper.

"What? You'd rather me knock on the front door? Maybe if you answered your phone..." his smirk grows as he tilts his head, taunting you with his gaze.

Ah, that's what that was. You roll your eyes. "What for? You're preventing my beauty sleep."

"You don't need beauty sleep," his smile sharpens, "you look cute when you're grumpy."

You feel heat tickle your cheeks, your heart betraying you as it thumps out of pattern. "Oikawa..." you sigh his name like a warning.

"I'm here to take you on our date," he finally confesses.

Face lifting with surprise, you glance down at your pj's, a hoodie and shorts, hesitant. "Right now?"

"Yes right now. Or would you rather we go out in the light of day when everyone can see us?" he lifts a brow, challenging you. With the lack of any rebuttal, he grins, a quick nod of his chin as he says: "Get down here."

"Alright, let me get dressed." You shut the window, quickly grabbing a pair of jeans to change into, leaving your hoodie on.

Not wanting to keep him waiting too long, you fix your hair and grab your phone and a strawberry lip balm, applying a coat as you sneak out of your bedroom.

Standing in the dark of the landing, you glance at your brother's closed door instinctively, seeing no light peeking from underneath. Your muscles ease in relief.