2 | Forget

Your lips brush together, smudging the sugary flavour of your cherry balm and sweetening your tongue. But this isn't the first coat in the past twenty minutes. You can't seem to let your hands rest; from applying coats of lip balm to scribbling down notes, you can't let yourself be still a single moment. Not when you know he stands just a few shelves away.

Your friends are chatting as all three of you sit around an enclosed table in the library for lunch, but you aren't remotely listening. All you can hear is the sizzling seith in your back as his brown eyes burn through your spine.

You haven't seen or spoken to Oikawa after what happened last Friday, and you liked it that way. It was easier to ignore what happened when he wasn't around to remind you. But now, he's hovering in the history aisle, eyeing you with intent. You can feel an impish smile twitching at his lips like he can sense the tension he's causing you, watching the conflict between your mind and body unravel as you fight every shift in your seat, just purely revelling in your inability to sit still.

You can't help it, you cant distract yourself from the burn in your back, you can't ignore the straining tension in your hand as you grip your pencil so hard you're surprised it hasn't snapped yet. A tremble, however, thrives through your fingers from your tight grip. And with each passing second, you grow itchingly close to whipping your head around, just to ease your mind by facing what's behind you. Because maybe you'll see that he's not even watching you at all, that it's all in your head. But my God can you feel his eyes crawling up your back like a predatory spider, leaving its trail of venom right up your spine.

But with you hyper fixating on his presence lingering behind you, it eventually brings up a bitter taste of guilt rising to your throat. The more you focus on him, the more you focus on what almost happened.

You try to justify why you shouldn't feel guilty to Iwaizumi with the fact that his lips never reached yours, so technically, nothing happened. But deep down you both wanted them to. And the tension that ignited between you both in that fleeting moment on your staircase landing, one that still lingers when the image of that night forces its way into your mind or when his name is merely mentioned or thought, speaks clearly that something did happen; something shifted between the two of you, a feeling, a desire. One that now leads you to you hate yourself for wishing Iwaizumi had never interrupted.

"What do you think, y/n?" Hana's voice snaps through your ears like elastic, immediately pulling you back into reality.

"Erm- about what...?" You cringe as the words leave your mouth; you must seem so out of it. Well, truth be told, you are indeed completely out of it.

She rolls her eyes along with an exaggerated groan. "About my plan!" she whines, although it's quite muffled as she slouches down onto the table, face smushed against her arms.

"Plan?" you squeak out, biting your lip shamefully.

Emi sighs out a laugh, "She's gonna sneak her boyfriend over tonight because her parents are going to watch her little brother's match." she answers for her.

"Oh. Yeah, that sounds good." you let your face relax, a small smile slipping onto your lips as you speak, but it doesn't reach your eyes. You can't fight the way your skin remains aching, body fighting the urge to run away from everything, to escape this suffocating room. "Just watch out for the cameras on your driveway," you remind, quickly looking back at your notes stacked messily in front of you.

"Shit. I forgot!" she whips her head up from the table, her long raven hair sprawled over her face causing Emi to laugh a little too loud.

A few shushes are targeted towards the three of you, and you can't help the way your face twists into a grimace, the obnoxious noise agitating you much more than usual, and you feel your hand tense around your pencil once more.