10

"Chenchita, we have to take up the responsibility much seriously now. Your recent absence is making them actually think of changing the importance they're placing on you. If things go in the same manner, we cannot guarantee that they will allow you keep your place in the council." Aja said when he met me by the hills of Ahobalam.

"Anna...." I almost didn't know what to do. I cannot go back on the request my father put to me. Nor can I take the political threat lightly.

"I understand that this is what Peddha Nanna has ordered you to do but I think you'll have to put in two shifts. Making appearances in the council matters while also return to resume your request to be here. Surely he doesn't need your presence every single moment." Aja commented.

"You'd be surprised." Garuda pointed. Aja gave him a look.

"Why would you care about our tribe? At the first opportunity, you and your lord will fly out of here. For this temporary presence, you can disregard people who will forever live in this forest? Your people don't live here. Our people do. This is our home. If someone is threatening to tear apart our home, do you really think we should just stay here to please your Lord? What is he going to do when these forests are breached by humans? I doubt he has the authority to kill humans when they come here poaching for innocent animals who belong in jungles?" A rude question had Garuda stand silent.

"To receive help you have to ask first. Don't expect miraculous help arriving without asking first." Shesha commented.

"We can deal with it. Just if you give us the space."

"Aja, that isn't their problem. Shouting at them isn't going be in our favour." Chenchita stopped her cousin. "I'll manage both. Don't worry about me. When is the council meet?"

"Tomorrow. They'll be looking at the possible people to head as the next chieftain." Aja answered.

"Well, I'll get there by then."

"You want to be the chieftain?" Garuda asked her.

"That is the position which will allow me to do the best possible service to my people, Garuda."

He joined his hands to her. "Then order away, I'll make sure they all know that you're going to be the chieftain."

Chenchita smiled at him. The bird man was sweet. "I wish things were that simple. You can't become a leader of the people with a sword at their neck. You have to earn their affection, love and support. I've worked all my life to gather their love and support." She explained.

"The whole thing isn't to have just majority. It is to make sure everyone under you is willing to follow your command. You have won majority's trust but you have to build this trust inside those who aren't with you right now. That is a successful leader." Narayana pointed out as he walk towards them.

"But I don't believe they will ever accept it. The thing is that they want to be the chieftain. They don't want to accept anything less than that." Aja explain.

"Aja, you will not have change of heart or idea in a place where you do not offer them a option to make mistakes. If you give them a hard and fast rule and expect them to follow it just because you said so, people will not. You will always have rebels in such a case. Dealing with it now is better than dealing with rebels after you take up a position. The permanent solution to rebellion is to allow them to see the error of their ways."

"But wouldn't they ruin the tribe by then?"

Narasimha patted his shoulder and showed him the sun. "When we're suffering the excess summer heat and you complain terribly about how the sun is scorching up the land, does he stop shining out of fear of his supremacy being questioned? No. He continues to follow his Dharma of spreading light and keeping the planets warm. You have taken up the vow to protect the tribe. Do so whether the person you like is the chieftain or not. No one needs permission to actually save another person. You've got the moral right to do so."