Andy (Chapter 75)

Start from the beginning

"I'm just following the boss's orders, that's all."

Usually Quinn is more carefree when it comes to the boss's orders. While he always follows what the boss says, he never acts seriously the way he is acting now.

"Fine", I said.

My eyes stayed on him as I turned, waiting for him to change back to his usual charming self. Instead he seemed a bit off. Of course I can't ask him straight out, we aren't close at all. For now, I have no choice but to do as he says in order to avoid any problems.

I was planning on exploring the area a bit, see what I'm up against. That'll have to wait. I bet my secret communication with officer Hanson's team might be put to a halt sooner than I thought.

~

February...

It took some time to move us over and get settled in. Nothing for me has changed when it came to my living conditions. I stay in the basement of the new mansion. While it's a bit nicer than before, I just feel like a wealthy prisoner. Quinn ended up getting his dream room, he wouldn't quit bragging about it for the longest time. Isaac got an upgrade I guess. He doesn't bother me as much. Maybe he has more work to do since I've suddenly been put on no-work duty per the boss's request. It's very strange for him to do that. I tried to ask why but of course that didn't go well.

I know there has to be something going on that I've been kept in the dark about. Something I'm not supposed to know or see. 

For now, I don't want to bother trying to figure out what's going on. It's a nice change to not do anything. I wish during this down time I could talk to Grace. I'm in her hometown after all and yet I can't see her. So close yet so far away. I wouldn't want to risk getting her in danger anyway. Sometimes I thought I should stop thinking about her. Most likely she has enough sense to move on.

"We're not in an official relationship anyway...I think..."

"Have you gone mental from being by yourself?"

I quickly sat up on my bed. It was Isaac, leaning against the door frame, arms folded as he looked at me with his usual expression of hatred.

"You are more pathetic than ever aren't you?"

I didn't say anything. He still enjoys getting under my skin, it doesn't mean I'm okay with it.

"You just gonna ignore me", he asked in a threatening tone.

"No", I said, not bothering to look at him.

He just stood there glaring at me but did not move.

"The boss wants you."

"Okay."

I headed towards the door, he moved off the frame to block me.

"Don't think things are different now just because we are in a different territory", he said.

"I never expected things to be different."

"I've been keeping my eye on you. The boss can't see it but I know you aren't loyal, I never trusted you since day one."

"Since when do I need your approval for anything", I said in an angry tone.

I've had enough of him pushing me around for no reason, treating me like dirt.

"What did you say?"

I stood up straighter, staring him directly into his eyes.

"You heard what I said. Clearly, the boss favors me for a reason and you hate that. Surprised I'm coming at you like this aren't you? It's because I'm not taking your shit anymore. Yeah, we are in a new territory. I'm not expecting things to be different but I can be different and there's nothing you can do to stop me."