Javier (Chapter 62)

Start from the beginning

"Well, I respect that. Hopefully, you change your mind."

I turned back to my computer to continue working.

It was the end of the day now. I had to stop by Tyler's office to discuss some plans in person for the mission. I was about to leave when I forgot to grab my flash drive from his computer. I quickly went back to the office. Once I made it to the door I stopped because I heard him talking to someone, sounds like he's talking to Josh. I didn't want to interrupt so I waited.

"Looks like everything is set to go for tomorrow", Josh said.

"Yeah, I'm just glad Sarina's on board. I was worried she would say no, I'm not happy she agreed though."

"I know, I feel the same way", Josh said.

Sarina? Why are they talking about her?

"She will be great at supporting Masen during this mission so I feel better about that", Tyler said.

What?! Sarina's a part of this?!

Without thinking I swung the door open.

"Sarina's involved in this? Why didn't you tell me", I shouted at Tyler.

"Hey, Javier, calm down. Look, none of us was happy about this--"

"She's not going to get involved in this!"

"I don't want her to be a part of this as much as you do, neither do I want Masen but this is the only way we can get some kind of information from Cosen and possibly take the lead", Tyler said, his tone serious.

"She's going to get hurt and if she does--"

"What", Tyler said as he glared into my eyes.

I challenged him by not shifting my eyes away.

"I won't forgive you. I don't care if you're my boss, she is my best friend. I want her out of this or I'm not helping."

"We're sorry we didn't tell you, we knew you were going to react this way", Josh said.

"When were you going to inform me? When something goes wrong?"

Tyler stood up angrily from his desk.

"You don't get to talk to us like this! What the hell am I supposed to do? You don't think she's important to me as well? Many lives are in danger. If you're her best friend you should know how she is, she has a big heart. I didn't force her to do this, she wanted to. I'll be damned if I let anyone lay a finger on her or Masen. You know I will be undercover, I will be close to them. If I wasn't doing this, I would have scrapped this plan a long time ago. So don't you dare act like I'm just tossing her into this without a care. I care about her a lot!"

We stared each other down in silence.

"Hey you two, let's just take a break okay? Javier, please go home for now, okay? Again I apologize", Josh said.

I gave Tyler one last look before I left.

~

A few minutes later I was home, I was still feeling furious. I was mad they went behind my back by not telling me she was involved in this. I get it but still, she's important to me.

I sat down on the couch and took out my phone to call her.

"Hey Javi, can't sleep", she said.

"Something like that."

"What's wrong? Sounds like something's bothering you."

"No, it's nothing. I'm just tired, that's all."

I can't tell her I know, I don't want to start anything, at least not tonight.

"Aww, well you should sleep. Why did you call in the first place?"

"To hear you, duh. Also, to ask you out for the Christmas dance."

"Christmas dance, where?"

"I just found out they have this dance for us soldiers so we can have a good time. We can have one guest and I wanted it to be you. If you're free--"

"Of course I'm free! I just...uh...I need to find something to wear."

I let out a light chuckle.

"I'll pay for it."

"Javi no, I can't have you do that."

"So you're refusing the money I worked hard on to cherish you? Maxine I'm hurt."

I could sense she was pouting at me.

"Fine but nothing expensive, okay?"

"Fine with me. You'll look beautiful in anything."

"T-Thank you."

"I have to go for now, I'll talk to you soon, okay?"

"Wait Javi...I have to tell you something."

"It'll have to wait this time. See you."

I hung up. I knew what she was going to say. I could still feel the anger inside since I left Tyler's office, I didn't want to let it out on her, so I had to end the call. I know she will be fine.

I don't know what I'm going to do about this plan of Tyler's. I'm 100% against it but it's too late to voice my opinion.

I'll protect her at all costs.