chapter 16

Ch. 16

When they finally arrived at Citadel Felbarr, Dean was impressed by this fortress city. It seemed to be built directly out of the stones of the Underdark. And it was a stronghold in every sense. Its high walls were imposing and intimidating, and after getting only a small taste of what the Underdark offered, Dean understood the need for defense.

They were greeted by heavily armored dwarven patrols and guards, who escorted them through the gates. Sam leaned heavily against Dean, encumbering his older brother with the bulk of his weight as he limped, unable to walk on his broken ankle. As soon as they passed through the gates a group of dwarves bearing stretchers met them.

"The clerics will take them to the healing ward," Catti-brie explained as she nodded her greetings to the dwarves. One impressive dwarf with long white robes and a thick white beard stepped forward.

"The kings will want to see ye immediately in the meeting room," he explained before turning to address Fili. "We'll get ye brother as good as new while ye are meeting with them."

Fili nodded and helped lower his brother onto a stretcher, the younger dwarf yelping in pain with every painful movement. "Sorry, brother," Fili mumbled and Dean only gripped Sam tighter as he watched, when a few dwarves approached him.

"Dean," Sam protested as he tried to move toward the dwarves. "It's fine." Dean frowned. Sam only had a broken ankle. He wasn't in need of immediate care, but the idea of being separated from him in this unfamiliar place was unpalatable.

"The clerics of Moradin are very skilled," Catti-brie assured him as Sam limped over and lowered himself onto one stretcher with a wince.

Dean didn't know or care what a cleric was, but reluctantly, he agreed to relinquish his brother. But before either brother could say another word, the dwarven clerics whisked Kili and Sam away while Catti-brie guided Fili and Dean in the other direction.

They were led through the complex to the conference room where King Warcrown, a thick flaxen bearded dwarf with a long scar across the right side of his face, stretching from above his right eye downwards across his cheek, spoke with a red bearded dwarf sporting a one horned helmet.

"Ah me girl is back," the red bearded dwarf- King Bruenor- greeted as he motioned for Catti-brie and her company to join them. "Who ye got there, girl?"

"This is Prince Fili of Erebor and his human companion can't exactly pinpoint his origin, I'm afraid."

Dean shrugged and stepped forward. He understood the confusion they all had to work with. Three different realms, three different worlds were represented here. Names and kingdoms, even the nature of reality, were all different in these realms. It confused him as well.

"I'm Dean Winchester," he introduced as he took a seat at the conference table with the two dwarf kings. "I'm from Kansas. You have no idea where that is, so it's not really important."

"He's been tryin to charm his way through a world he doesn't understand, but at least he can handle a blade," Catti-brie commented. "Did pretty good against the roper that greeted us on our way here."

Dean accepted that complement with uncharacteristic stoicism. He felt somewhat subdued by the air of importance that radiated from these two dwarves. Perhaps his first impulse would be to make a comment about their short stature, but both of them, with their scarred and battle weary faces, commanded respect. He realized that despite their short stature, these dwarf kings should not be taken lightly.

"We'll need any able-bodied fighter we can get if we're to be going up against the Duergar and their dark elf friends," King Warcrown explained. "We've got more evidence that the pointy-eared dogs are involved in this whole thing."