Chapter 13

Note: I'm back from my hiatus! Just a reminder that this and my other two stories "Fathers and Sons" and "The Do'Urden brothers" will be updated at a slower pace than they had been previously because I am working hard at my original novel series, but I should be able to update at least one fic every week.

Also, I wanted to give a heads up about the direction of this fic. First off, my writing style is 'spontaneous prose' which means I don't work from an outline, so every chapter is as much of a surprise to me as it is to anyone else. I have always used this style, I love it because it's so liberating. I write what I want. Second, I am contemplating eventually moving the setting of this story to the modern world. I want to do this because when I started this story, I was eager to write in the Faerun world and I started out with just this one fic. But now I have three fics, two of which take place on Faerun ("Fathers and Sons" takes place on Middle Earth) so as such, I kinda want to have some diversity with regards to the settings. Also, seeing a bunch of drow walking down the streets of a major modern city would be absolutely hilarious and adorable and I can't pass that up.

Don't worry, the setting won't change for a long time. All my characters are all spread out and there's a lot to cover in this setting. But eventually, that is the direction I am going in. Perhaps it will happen in a sequel after I wrap out these plots. Who knows, because that's the beauty of spontaneous prose. In any case, I just wanted to give readers a heads up.

Also Note: I am contemplating a fourth fic. Not sure what it will be about yet although I am leaning towards a 'marooned on a deserted island/planet/whatever' trope. I know I want the fic to have Drizzt, Legolas, Dinin, Fili, Kili, and perhaps Berg'inyon and even Entreri in it. I have been reading the Sellsword trilogy, just started the second book and I am really itching to include Entreri somewhere. So yeah, I'm not sure about the plot or setting just yet but something is definitely brewing. Let me know what sorts of stories you might like to see with the mentioned characters. I definitely think it will be another Drizzt/Ellifain Tuuserail pairing like "fathers and sons" but we shall see.

**********************************************************

Dinin Do'Urden was nervous about being in the Underdark this far away from Menzoberranzan. He took comfort in all the protection that went along with him, though he wasn't so confident about his travel partners.

Before Jarlaxle had left the drow city, he had managed to recruit one more dark elf into their intrepid quartet, and the one chosen had Dinin and Berg'inyon both on edge. Even now, as the former elderboy of House Do'Urden gripped the reigns of his subterranean lizard mount as it scurried along the wall, giving him a sideways vantage point of the tunnels and caves they were moving though, he found himself stealing glances at Kimmuriel Oblodra.

The mysterious third house had always been regarded with suspicion for their use of psionics. The mind control powers unnerved Dinin about even being in this one's presence.

"Your thoughts are louder than the cries of a dying troll," Kimmuriel casually commented as he trotted along in between Dinin and Berg'inyon and their lizard mounts. He turned his characteristic stone face Dinin's direction as Jarlaxle only smirked, the mercenary walking casual beside him, twirling his wide brim purple hat around in his hand as if he hadn't a care in the world.

"My thoughts are my own," Dinin sneered, shooting the stoic psionic user a threatening glare.

"And they are mine," Kimmuriel replied simply, his tone provocative, as if he was challenging Dinin to do anything about it. "And they are fascinating to be sure. They've provided me with enough entertainment during this mundane little excursion."