Uther and the Worlock (pt2)

Uther awoke to a wonderful smell. Upon further inspection, he realized that this smell was rabbits. He sat up, observing his surroundings as the memories from last night came back to him. Ah, yes. The serving boy, Merlin. He lied to get them both away from the bandits and they became friends. Wait, friends? No, Uther is the king, he does not befriend servants.

"Are you hungry, sire?" Merlin asked the king.

"Yes," he answered simply.

"I'm making rabbits, obviously, but I also picked some berries if you want some. They're right here," Merlin paused his twirling of the rabbits over the fire to pull out a cloth. Opening the cloth, he revealed at least a few handfuls of strawberries, raspberries and blackberries.

"Yes, I'd like some," Uther had to bite back a thank you. He didn't know why he wanted to thank this boy, but there was something interesting yet mysterious about him. Merlin took the rabbits off of the fire, checking to ensure they were done with a clean, sharp stick that he washed, and handed the stick with a rabbit to Uther before placing the cloth with the berries in front of him after taking a handful.

They ate in silence. Neither had anything to say, also knowing they needed to move quickly so they could get back to Camelot. So soon enough, Merlin was cleaning up and putting out the fire while Uther waited on his horse. Merlin climbed up on his horse and nudged it forward to follow Uther's. They got maybe 15 minutes away when they encountered more bandits.

Merlin's magic flared, wanting to be released. He knew danger was nearby so he stiffend, his eyes darting around nervously. Uther observed this behaviour and thought it weird. He figured out why Merlin did it as soon as the bandits showed up. They pulled their weapons out, forming a circle around the two. Both had swords but there were too many bandits. The leader walked forward, laughing.

"Well lookie here. If it isn't King Uther Penndragon," the leader laughed, taking a step forward. Merlin took a deep breath.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," Merlin warned. Uther sent him a warning look while the bandits laughed.

"And what are you a mere servant going to about it?" one mocked.

"I am much more than that," Merlin stated. The bandits rushed forwards, all wanting to take a swing at him, but before they could an invisible force knocked them back. The ones that weren't knocked out scrambled away.

"Sorcerer!" Uther accused, pointing his sword at Merlin.

"Please, sire, I'm at your mercy but let's get out of here before they wake up," Merlin said, getting on his horse so they could leave. Uther did the same, however, he kept his sword pointed at Merlin. When they were a few miles away, Uther spoke, stopping his horse as he did so, Merlin following suit. They both got off of their horses and Uther pointed his sword at Merlin.

"Give me one good reason I shouldn't run you through right now," Uther threatened. He didn't know why he hadn't already, there was just something about the boy making him hesitant. Uther was upset, why couldn't he kill him? He's just a boy! He's a sorcerer. Uther should have already ran him-

"I don't have one sire," Merlin answered honestly. Uther was taken aback. He wasn't going to fight back?

"What do you mean?" Uther narrowed his eyes.

"I'm a monster. I've killed and hurt people with my magic. I didn't want to...But they gave me no choice. I've deceived you and Arthur, I've committed treason according to your laws. There's no reason you shouldn't," Merlin responded.

"You brought magic into the heart of Camelot. What was your goal? Get close to me and Arthur so you could kill us?" Uther spat.

"I would never! I have only used my magic to protect Camelot. It is my destiny. I am Emrys and Arthur-" Merlin started to explain.