Uther and the Warlock (pt1)

Start from the beginning

"That's enough father. Merlin is my friend whether you like it or not. He didn't mean to scare the deer away, it was an accident. We already have two that's plenty. A third deer isn't too important," Arthur cut him off angered at the way his father was talking about Merlin. His Merlin, he admitted to himself.

"You will obey me. I am your father. I'll give you one more chance. One more slip up and he's out of a job," Uther seethed.

"Father you can't-" Arthur began.

"Arthur, it's alright. Thank you for defending me," he turned to Uther and bowed, "Apologies, my lord. I will accept my punishment should I make another mistake." Uther scoffed.

"Come, let's go back to the horses and prepare a camp. You, boy, whatever your name is start skinning the deer to cook," Uther commanded. He started walking back to the horses as Arthur and Merlin exchanged a look.

Arthur and Uther talked, away from Merlin, as the warlock skinned and prepared the deer for dinner. He was going to make stew since Arthur seemed to love his stew so much. When he was done preparing the deer, he walked to the camp where the two royals were. He smiled as they laughed and talked.

Merlin collected firewood and started a fire. He got out some vegetables and a pot before heading to a stream to get a bit of water. He cut up the vegetables and put them in the pot. He used some spices he found to flavor the deer and threw it in the pot as well. He let it simmer, stirring it every few minutes. When it was done, he served Uther and Arthur their stew before serving himself what little was left.

"This is very good, Merlin," Arthur commented, even Uther thought it was delicious.

"Thank you, sire," he smiled.

"Is that all you're going to eat?" Arthur asked, frowning at Merlin's bowl which had a few spoonfuls of the stew.

"Yes," Merlin responded.

"Merlin, that's not enough," he reasoned, glancing at his father who was scowling.

"Arthur, it's fine. You need it more than me. You are hunting, I'm just following you," Merlin argued.

"Nope, I will not eat anything unless you eat more," Arthur took Merlin's bowl pouring half of his into Merlin's bowl before handing it back.

"That's too much!" Merlin tried to object, but sighed after receiving a glare from both of the Pendragons, though for different reasons.

-

It was dark and Uther was lying on his bedroll. Too busy thinking to sleep. His eyes were cracked open slightly. Just enough that he could see, but not enough to be noticeable. He saw Merlin and Arthur sitting on a log next to each other. Arthur was staring into the flames, seeming deep in thought.

"Arthur?" Merlin questioned, snapping Arthur from his thoughts.

"Yes, Merlin?"

"What's wrong?" he asked, cocking his head slightly. Both royals looked at him in disbelief, how did he know something was wrong. Arthur, after his initial shock, just shook his head, smiling fondly.

"Sometimes I forget how well you know me," Arthur chuckled lightly. Uther was confused. Did they actually care about each other enough and know each other well enough that they don't keep things from one another? "It's nothing, really."

"Arthur, you prat. Come on, tell me. I know somethings bothering you," Merlin pushed Arthur's shoulder lightly with his own. "You know, if you weren't a prince and I wasn't a servant, we'd get on. That means you can tell me," Merlin smiled remembering that conversation with Arthur.