Chapter 5

Today is the day of my twelve week appointment. Which means that Rafe will see the baby for the first time today. It's all he's been talking about for the past few days. Every morning, he has texted me to make sure the baby and I are okay. He's been worried about me having morning sickness, but I keep telling him that I haven't been sick since he got home. It's okay though, I know he's just concerned.

Monday and Tuesday, I went to school as usual. A few people asked me about Rafe after hearing that he was released from rehab last week. Luckily, no one was rude or mean.

And that brings me to today, Wednesday. After school, I'm meeting Rafe at my doctor's office. He has been texting me all morning: "What time is the appointment?" "Where is it again?" "Im so excited to see our baby!" "Are you okay?" Bless him... he's just anxious. I know exactly what he's doing right now. He is sitting in his room, trying to watch a movie but he can't concentrate because he's so nervous. He's tapping his fingers, shaking his feet and chewing on his fingernails. Just to prove my point, I will text him.

Me: What are you doing?

Rafe: nothing.

Me: Don't lie. I know you're biting your nails.

Rafe: no...

Me: Yeah! I know you well enough.

Rafe: okay fine. I'm nervous.

Me: Nothing to be nervous about, baby. I'll see you soon.

Told you I was right.

With that, the bell rings to signal lunch. During lunch I usually sit with Sarah, who is usually late. But to my surprise, she is sitting in our every day spot when I get to the lunchroom. I sit in front of her with a smile, "You're here on time."

"Yeah... got out of class early." She says while pulling out her turkey sandwich.

I grab my lunch from my bag, grabbing my container of strawberries and grapes. My mom also packed me a ham sandwich, with lettuce, cheese and mayonnaise. Then a sandwich bag of baby carrots and some ranch. Sarah scrunches her nose in disgust when I open my ranch, "How do you eat that shit?"

"It's one of my favorite condiments. That and mayo." I shrug.

"Ugh disgusting." She gags.

Sarah takes a bite of her sandwich, "What time is the appointment?"

I take a sip of water, "3:30."

"Is Rafe picking you up from school?"

"No, I'm gonna meet him there." I say while popping a grape into my mouth.

She hums and we finish our lunch in silence. My next two periods go by slow. The last class I have for the day is English... my least favorite. I just can't seem to grasp the meanings of some of these books. It sounds crazy, but I would much rather have two math classes.

The bell rings and I make my way towards the exit. But before I can get out of the building, I hear someone call my name. I turn around to see Topper waving at me. Hesitantly, I stop. "Oh hey, Topper."

"Hey! So how's Rafe?" He asks, crossing his arms.

"He's good. I'm actually supposed to be meeting him soon so I got-"

He cuts me off, "That's good. Tell him we miss him. And how is Sarah?"

I try to not roll my eyes, "She is fine. Look, Top I really have to get going."

"Hmm okay. Well tell your boyfriend to come see me." He says with a smirk and walks away.

What the hell was that about? I don't know but I brush it off, I need to get going. I speed walk to my car, only having 8 minutes to make it to the other side of town. I don't speed, deciding that it will be fine to be a couple of minutes late.