Sarina (Chapter 13)

Start from the beginning

I actually feel a bit better knowing dating as a teen was an opportunity worth missing.

"Do you have anyone in your life now", I asked.

"Yeah...Fletcher...he's the manager here. He's...well, not the best type of boyfriend."

"He doesn't hurt you does he?"

"Oh no, he would never lay a finger on me or my son. I'll knock him out before he even thinks about it."

I laughed.

"How is he not the best?"

"He's lazy, lazy boyfriend and lazy manager. He's not father material either."

"How long have you been with him?"

"About three months. He became the manager here about six months ago and was hitting on me. I figured why not, I don't live with him or anything, glad I don't. My mom wouldn't allow her grandson to be with any man who she doesn't approve of, I agree with her."

"That's good. If I were in your shoes, I would feel the same way. You hear too many scary stories."

"Exactly. I think I will be breaking things off with him soon. These days he's been acting weird...like secretive."

"How so?"

"I don't know. He says he hangs out with his friends a lot but doesn't tell me who. One day I took his phone without him looking. He was texting this guy about...."

She became quiet, hesitating to tell me.

"You can tell me, if it's secret I swear I won't tell."

"Actually...I do want this secret to come out. I'm just afraid to do it. He's been, selling drugs I think. You don't make lots of money here so I was surprised he even chose to work here. You see, he's family has money. I went to his house once, I met his brother, he went to the high school here."

"Greenwater high school", I asked.

"Yeah, he graduated with your class I think."

"What's his name? Maybe I know him?"

She took a moment to think about it.

"I think it started with an A...um...Ashton I think it was. Yeah, he played football."

He must have been on Javi's football team!

"Do you by chance know his friend's names", I asked.

"No, sorry."

"That's okay. Do you know anything about what Fletcher's involved with", I asked.

"Not really. He just communicated with this guy about meeting up to discuss what they are selling and how many people he found to add. I don't know what they meant about adding."

"Sounds to me like Fletcher is recruiting people to a gang."

"A gang!"

She quickly covered her mouth.

"A gang", she whispered.

"I don't know for sure but...it sounds like it, doesn't it", I asked.

"Yeah...I guess...if that's the case, I don't want any part of him."

"It's best if you break up with him now then", I said.

"Yeah...but before I do...I should transfer those text messages to myself, or better yet, get his phone", she said. "It'll be revenge for being an ass to me."

"That's dangerous Angie, think about your son."

"Don't worry, he won't know it's me. He's a slob, constantly losing everything."