Javier (Chapter 9)

Start from the beginning

"Ya'll just a bunch of pussies", Ashton said.

"Shut up", Allen said as he threw some chips at Ashton.

"Anyway, want to tell him why we are all here", Terique said to Ashton.

I sat up straighter.

Ashton reached over to take his beer. He took a long drink before speaking again.

"Yeah. Well, since we are all friends, we will do anything for each other you know. Life is expensive and let's be honest. We all don't have money, at least not of our own. It won't be easy to just make some after college so we're going to need some help, at least to get by and live comfortably."

"What do you mean", I asked.

He leaned forward, looking into his lap.

"Remember what we talked about, you know what we used to help us out when we played."

"Yeah, drugs and you know I want no part of it so if this is your way to-"

"Calm down Javi. Just hear me out. I'm speaking for all of us when I say this", he said as he looked at Terique and Allen.

"I know a guy who got me into selling and-"

He dug in his pocket, placing a wad of cash on the table.

"What the hell is that", I asked.

"Money, duh", Allen said.

"I can see that. What I mean is, what is that all about? You're selling drugs? That's your way to starting your new life?"

He sat back, looking at me, not pleased by my reaction.

"Look Javi. You and I are the same. We have families who have money but they aren't going to support us forever. We will be cut off from them soon and then what? We need money to survive and this way...we can get what we need without stressing about balancing a job and school."

"This isn't the way to go Ashton!"

"Just listen to what I'm saying!"

"I am!"

"Hold up you two", Allen said.

"I'm not getting involved in any of this. You will get in trouble, I don't have time for that", I said through gritted teeth.

"You won't say anything for us to get in trouble!"

They all looked at me, waiting for me to say something. I leaned back in my seat as I spoke in a flat, expressionless tone.

"Yeah, I won't say anything. I have no reason to. I don't know you guys anymore. You guys will just ruin my life somehow if I snitched."

"Seriously Javi? You gonna talk about us like that", Allen said angrily.

"Just chill out okay? We said we weren't going to force him. He's not going to snitch, I believe him", Terique said.

"Are we done here", I asked in an aggravated tone.

"When you need help, don't come running to me", Ashton said.

"Don't worry about that", I said.

I stood up to head towards the door.

"Javi wait", Terique called out.

I kept on walking until I was outside. Terique moved in front of me, putting a hand on my chest to stop me in my tracks.

"Teri, why are you doing this. I'm surprised you are taking part in this", I said.

"Yeah, I know but...he makes a point. My family can't afford college so I need this. Please, don't say anything, okay?"