Sarina (Chapter 1)

Start from the beginning

"What are you watching mom, more boring news stuff?"

"Your father was watching it before he left for work. It's good that the police stopped that crime organization but there's still a lot of crime going on around here. I always worry about you."

"I know mom. You worry about everything."

"I just want you to be safe that's all. That's why I brought up to your father about moving to a smaller town, maybe a few hours away from the city. He could always work from home but, that's not something he wants to do."

"Mom, I can't live hours away. My friends are like everything to me and...what about college?"

"I know. It was just talk. We don't want to take you away from your friends. You're an adult now so, keep that in mind. You have a whole country to explore. You don't have to live here forever."

"Hello and again, thank you all for joining us this morning. I'm detective Hanson and I am leading this case so if you have any questions, please ask me. I would like to start off by saying, just like what my Captain mentioned earlier, I am pleased to have put a stop to this crime organization. It of course wasn't just me along. I could not have done this without my team. We are the strongest and one of the best police departments in Illinois. We strive to be the top but we also strive to work together with our neighboring departments to bring down crime and some day eliminate it. At one point, not too long ago, this city had one of the lowest crime rates in the country for its size. Over time, crime from outside sources has plagued our city. We will go back to when we won't have to fear for our loved ones and the children of this great city. Please, don't stop supporting your local police departments. The men and women of our departments work tirelessly everyday risking their lives to protect each and every one of you. I stand here today to speak for all of us that we enjoy working for the community to make life safer. Now with that being said, I'll take some questions."

I wasn't watching the T.V., just listening as I was finishing up breakfast. My mom made a good point. Crime here sucks, Illinois isn't known as the safest place. I try to ignore what's going on because if I worry about it too much, I would be too scared to live my life. I am careful though. I never venture out at night, especially on my own and I always stay in contact with my parents or my friends. I don't have a lot of friends to begin with so my parents don't have to worry about me hanging out with the wrong crowd and ending up in a crime organization. My parents are the type to get to know the people I hang with and so far they approve.

I hurried up eating the last bit of bacon and then I downed my orange juice before and I headed out the door.

"Bye", I shouted before the door closed.

I only waited a few minutes on the corner of my street before the bus came in sight. Once aboard I heard one of my best friends shouting for me.

"Sarina!"

I learned quickly not to be embarrassed by her. She's the type to not care what others think about her. That's why we are best friends. She's not fake.

"You don't have to shout Grace for like the millionth time."

"Can't a girl be excited?"

"Sure but you can be excited quietly. Anyway, let me guess why you are so cheerful this morning...it starts with a B?"

"Boys! Oh Sarina you're such a good guesser", she exclaimed as she flung an arm behind my shoulders, resting it on the seat.

I scoffed.

"What", she said in an annoyed tone.

"Do you ever get tired of them? It's like you can't survive without being around a guy."