23. Overestimated

Start from the beginning

A beautiful woman, with long midnight black hair to match Maddox's, rushes her way over to us. "You made it, boys!"

"Hey, Ma!" Maddox and Tyler both say in one breath, opening their arms wide for her, but she totally ignores them, and literally shoves them aside so she could have a better look at me.

Her soft blue eyes, that remind me so much of her son's, look at me for a couple of seconds before she grins widely. "Ella. You're even more beautiful than my son has said."

I blush and fiddle with the small box in my hands. "Th-thank you. It's really n-nice to meet you, Mrs. Hun-Hunter. Thank you f-for letting me join you on such a s-special occasion." I take a deep breath, refusing to let my embarrassment show as I stretch my hand for her to grab the box . "And ha-happy birthday. It's n-not much, but I r-really hope you like it. If you don't, p-please let me know, and I'll return it and g-get you something better."

I don't know why her eyes become glossy or why her bottom lip trembles, but she looks like she's about to cry and I panic as I quickly look at Maddox who's scowling at his mother.

"Ma." He gently nudges her. "Take it."

"You're so precious!" She suddenly cries and I flinch, taking a step back instantly.

"Shit." Maddox hurries to my side and grabs my hand in his. "She's just really excited, baby. I'm sorry."

I quickly shake my head, dismissing his apology, and look at her again to see Tyler rubbing a hand up and down her back soothingly while she wipes a couple of tears off her face.

"I'm so sorry." She looks at me again, embarrassed. "Please forgive me. You're just so polite and beautiful and I'm so happy to finally meet you, Ella."

I release a breath at that. "Th-thank you so much. H-here." I try to give her her present again, and this time she takes it.

"Thank you, dear." She smiles widely at me before turning to her son. "I've missed you so much, my boy."

"I've missed you too, Ma." He lets go of my hand to quickly hug her and when she pulls away he holds it again.

"But not as much as I've missed you!" Her voice is much higher as she turns toward Tyler and hugs him.

"I know! I missed you so much more, Ma!" Tyler hugs her tightly, wiggling his brows teasingly at Maddox who chuckles at his bestfriend and shakes his head.

"Everyone is waiting for you inside. Come on in!" She adjusts her elegant green dress, ridding it on any wrinkles before motioning with her hand for us to follow as she and Tyler make their way to the front door.

"Are you okay, my love?" Maddox tugs me to face him and he gently caresses my cheek. "I'm sorry about Ma. She gets emotional pretty easily."

"She's really sweet." I smile at him, happy that she seemed to like me. One family member down, the rest to go. "Can I have a hug please?"

His eyes soften, and for a second guilt flashes through them before it quickly disappears. Wrapping his arms around me, he hugs me tightly. "Thank you so much for doing this, Rose. I fucking love you, my brave angel."

I breathe in his scent deeply, letting the familiar feeling of safety wash over my scenses. "I love you too."

Pulling back, Maddox entwines our fingers together before leading me inside the house. Loud voices, talking and laughing, are instantly heard and I nervously beg my heart to calm the hell down, because Maddox is right here and I'm not in any danger.

Carefully, Maddox leads me to the living room, where everyone is present and they all stop whatever they're doing once they see us. My eyes are instantly drawn to the three small figures on the floor having a tea party and I smile.