Chapter 57

*Two months later*

After father had regained back his strength to lead the Grisha, things changed. Council members disappeared, searches for the Saint that summoned sun were carried out.

He had met little to no resistance when taking the Ravkan throne, the biggest threat being my disapproving stare.

I looked on as people just, accepted the change. Watched as no one said anything, as no thought was spoken about the logistics of what was happening.

The grand palace was all but abandoned, its only purpose was receiving the otkazat'sya council that had to meet, refusing to use the little palace, the residence of the new tsar.

I didn't mind that those meetings were held in the grand palace, it helped bring a scence of normality to the days.

My father knew me better than to mention the possibility that I could take the title of tsarevna. Knew I would outrightly refuse, and refuse I did.

"I am not a princess," I had told a minister that had mentioned the matter once, "That is not my title, I am a soldier, a warrior and a student, the daughter of a general that just so happens to be king and that is that."

I was the youngest resident of the little palace for a while, until newly discovered Grisha started to be discovered again, my friends at Keramzin still safely hidden, but for how long? Saints I hope Luka's ride didn't crash.

I began to distance myself from my father, unable to look him straight in the eye for too long. As much as it pained me to admit it, I was scared slightly of what he'd become, in some ways he was kinder, sort of, but I could see his patience slowly fraying with evey report that came back empty.

Ravka was now thriving.
He was not.

______________________________
__________________

I laid awake in my bed, unable to sleep. Its been days since we last tried, I thought to myself, it's worth a shot.

I closed my eyes and reached out searching. I could feel my father in his study, still awake at the late hour, but he wasn't who I was looking for, if I wanted to talk to him I could just walk down there.

I reached out further, looking for something, anything, then finally there, a small strand of hope. Not the light like I had wanted but something that brought me equally as much relief and joy.

I opened my eyes and almost believed I was in that stuffy little hut again, except it was different, more open and less cluttered. And there sitting hunched over a fire was someone who I hadn't know if I'd ever see again.

"Baghra," I breathed in relief.

She looked over at me and if I wasn't mistaken she looked relieved when she heard my voice. "You survived," she commented, going back to poking the fire with a stick.

"So did you," I responded stepping closer, "Luka- is he-" I trailed off.

Baghra huffed, "That boy is like a weed, a good one, blooms wherever he's put. Yes he's fine, missing home but fine."

I sighed in relief, good that was good.

"Ale- your father," Baghra started, "He felt weak- I couldn't feel him for some time, he's not- is he?"