Chapter 44

The man who I saw was a heartrender took the blindfold off me and I glared into the emotionless face of my father.

"You know," I started, "Some people consider tying others to poles very rude, myself included."

"Is that so?" He ventured, "Well, when it comes to someone like you I would consider it a safety measure."

I rolled my eyes, he was as infuriating as ever.

He waited until I met his gaze to speak, "I'm going to let you out of those," he told me, "Just, don't make any rash decisions until you've heard both sides of the story."

I raised a smug brow, "Me? Rash? Never."

He nodded to the heartrender to free my hands, his eyes never leaving mine as they did. Once I was free the heartrender bowed then left us alone in the tent.

"I must ask," my father started, "Where do your loyalties lie?"

I leaned against the pole I was previously tied to, "With myself."

He thought over my words for a moment, "Fair enough. Come, I have something to show you."

Although sceptical I followed him outside the tent, but what I saw had me backing away from him, we were right outside Os Atlas, hidden by the hill, he held onto my forearm. "No," I breathed, "You can't seriously be thinking of doing this."

His grip didn't loosen, "Why not? We have the advantage, they don't even know we're coming."

I turned to look at him, "No, not we, I am not helping you do this."

He sighed, "I was afraid you would say that," his grip became slightly painful on my arm as he signaled the heartrender from before over again, "Pytor Rena, Rena Pytor," he introduced us shoving me into his arms, "Watch her and make sure she doesn't do anything one might regret."

"Wait," I interrupted, my gather looked back at me, waiting, "Those people who found me, they weren't Grisha, were they?"

He thought for a moment before equipping me with an answer, "Oprichniki, some of my best."

He nodded and although not looking happy about his task Pytor bowed and left with me in tow towards a small tent next to the one we had come out of.

He pushed me into the tent, "You're aware of what I am?" He asked.

"Heartrender obviously," I drawled, crossing my arms.

He didn't appreciate my tone, "Good, so you know what will happen if you step a toe out of line or try to leave this tent without permission."

"Aren't you a ray of sunshine," I mumbled.

"That's your job, not mine, I'll be just outside," it sounded more like a threat than reassurance.

After he left I brought my sleeve up to my mouth and screamed into it, the fabric muffling it slightly. Who was this Pytor? And why wasn't Ivan here, although he wasn't much better at least I knew him.

I paced around the tent, I had to do something, I couldn't just leave everyone down there to die or be imprisoned, the Grisha had a chance of survival but what of the Otkazat'sya the one's who couldn't protect themselves, was I to believe he would show them mercy?

Finally I sat down, I had to warn them, even of they wouldn't believe me, but how?

Then it hit me, I crossed my legs underneath me and focused letting the light absorb me, becoming one with it, reaching out for... someone.